Friday, March 24, 2006

Worse Than Interruptions: Pepperoni Pizza

What's worse than being constantly interrupted? What's worse than never being alone in the bathroom? What's worse than constant noise when only silence will do? What's worse than chatting on the phone while peering into the eyes of a 3-year old who chants, "I want to talk! I want to talk! I want to talk!"? What's worse than reading the same sentence in a book three times, no four times--no, make that a half dozen times--because you're being paged by the girl in the bathtub? What's worse than walking into a room and forgetting what you're doing because you were sidetracked by an "urgent" matter?

I'll tell you. Pepperoni pizza.

That's right. Pepperoni pizza. Had I known during those feverish days of baby-lust that the day would come when pepperoni pizza would trump my craving for black olives and mushrooms and onions and--oh, just give me everything on it, yes, even pineapple--I might have reconsidered. All I want now is a decent pizza, one loaded up with all the things my kids refuse to eat.

But I don't order the pizza of my dreams because:

1) I don't want to spend that much money on a pizza just for myself.
2) I don't want to tempt myself to eat that much pizza myself.
3) Too many leftovers.
4) I'm ridiculous.

How many things have I sacrificed for my children? Long bubblebaths, nights of reading until the wee hours, days spent browsing in antique shops, the last cookie, watching a grown-up show at 8 p.m. downstairs in the comfortable recliner, sleeping in on Saturday mornings and sitting all through the service on Sunday . . . let me count the ways.

You see where this is leading, don't you? Papa Murphy's, of course. If I had a working vehicle and three fewer children in my house at this very moment, I would be in the car RIGHT NOW, heading for my beloved Papa Murphy's franchise, coupon clutched in my sandpapery hand. I would throw all caution to the wind--to the wind, I tell you!--and order a combination pizza for me and a pepperoni for the picky kids.

A girl can dream.

(For the record, I'd pay the price over and over again, but first, I need sustenance. And a day off and a maid.)

Update: So, I called my husband and asked if he'd go pick up pizza from Papa Murphy's for me. "Sure," he said. I told him to let me know when he'd have time and I'd call the order in.

A few minutes ago, he called me. He was so pleased with himself. He reported that he happened to speak with a friend of ours who was shopping at Costco at that very minute and he'd asked her to bring home a pizza for us. Saves him time going to the pizza place and all. Cool, right?

Guess what kind of pizza she's bringing?

Yeah.

Pepperoni.

Tomorrow? I will buy myself a combination pizza . . . or die trying!

19 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne said...

I hate pepperoni - Give me a good sausage, mushroom and green pepper any day and I'm happy!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Ohhhhhh that pizza looks fantastic! My favorite is green pepper, onion, tomato, ham, sausage, bacon and mushroom. Really anything BESIDES pepperoni.

Bless your heart, dear one. All your sacrifices will be worth it someday. :-) Hang in there.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm with ya -- we're each having our own $1.09 Tostino's party pizza tonight (minus daddy who's traveling), for a grand total of $3.27 for dinner, when I would LOVE a Papa John's with dipping sauce. Maybe, if you're like me, your very own bag of gummy bears would alleviate some of the angst! :-)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Since they have combos at Costco, you'd think it would have been just as easy to bring that!
We always get ½ and ½. (Pepperoni for the grandkids and combo with extra sauce for us)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Home's Jewels said...

Have you had their vegetarian pizza? Feta cheese, peppers, mushrooms, yum yum! Hope you get some REAL pizza soon. I'd go crazy, too!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

LOL!! Hahaha!! I make pizzas every Friday night, one for the kids (1/2 plain, 1/2 pepperoni) and one for the grownups (feta cheese, black olives, spinach, garlic). I thought I had them licked, but now they are starting to like the grownup pizza better and there is LESS PIZZA FOR ME. This is totally a problem.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, you wait years to finally get the pizza of your choice, only to find that they like that too, now, arrrgh! I've resorted to California Pizza Kitchen's Thai Chicken. Yum.

9:35 AM  
Blogger ~Jennifer said...

This is one of the ways in which I have never grown up. Only pepperoni on my pizza please and thank you very much. (Okay, I can handle pineapple, chicken, or canadian bacon too, but no mushrooms, olives, sausage or onions please.)

But I'm having flashbacks because on Thursday my husband brought home Papa Murphy's pepperoni pizza, which I usually eat with abandon, and I got sick sick sick. I don't know if it was a bug or what, however I might be cured of my obsession with pepperoni pizza.

1:27 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

Humm, that reminds me I'm hungry. thanks for the suggestion. Our's just want (have to have just cheese) so you see your's isn't that bad afterall.

3:58 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

If you have not gotten that pizza by the time you read this comment, I insist that you send me your address and I will be ordering it for you and having it delivered to your house.

4:21 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

PS I've got the American Express right next to the keyboard and I will not stalk you.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

my husband, being predictably unpredictable, would come up with the same kind of crazy scheme thinking all the while that he is doing me such a huge favor. I never seem to learn to give him the whole story up front. I mean, how could you have possibly guessed he would (a) go to Costco (b) consider buying a pizza at Costco (c) see a friend who makes deliveries (d) convince said friend to make a delivery and (e) do all this without calling you first! He was such a dear to help you in that way, but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

; )

6:57 PM  
Blogger Shalee said...

Here's what you do if you can't have the pizza of your dreams... Go and get your favorite candy and HIDE IT where only you can find it. Every time you know that you have to give up something you want for the betterment of the family, go and eat a piece. That way you will have something you want.

Or just keep portuguesa nova's email handy and request that pizza for next Friday. It's good to get something you love every now and then.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Please don't die. It's seriously not worth it. I always order half the pizza with what I want and half plain cheese. Then when they finish their half, they can pick what they want off my half or starve to death. (the latter hasn't happened yet:))

10:05 PM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

That's why...it oughta be a law....that all mommies get a week to themselves....to do what they want, sleep when they want, read what they want, and eat what they want! Just one week, each calendar year! It's not to much to ask for --is it? Do you think I could run for president on this platform???? !!! :)

Diane

11:28 AM  
Blogger Tori said...

I love your Pizza post...
I hate Pepperoni because I feel the grease adding to my thigs almost upon contact...
I have a funny tale though about Dominoe's...
A friend of mine was at the local Dominoes and somehow asked the guy behind the counter to find out how many pizzas our family had ordered in a year...
The number was frigtening - in the two hundreds....
I thought server error, then realised with four kids, soccer parties, birthday parties, sleepovers, pizza Friday and numerous other events... perhaps the pimpled youth was right!!!!!
Then of course I disowned my friend for being such a nosey bastard!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Order the pizza of your dreams. If it makes you happy, do it. We spend far too much time and energy denying ourselves the things we really truly want.

You want pizza?
The solution is simple.
Order pizza.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Bridgermama said...

I hope you got your pizza! Sounds as if you deserve it. Great site, I will be back!

9:55 PM  
Blogger deedee said...

I don't know Papa Murphy's, but, because of travel plans next week, I may find myself near one, and boy did you give me the urge to try one, with all the toppings, please!

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares