Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Change: Not Just Under the Couch Cushions

So much has happened since I've been silent. For instance, winter ended and spring sprang. And I cooked two decent meals and one half-decent meal. The sun shone and the rain returned. Change, change, change--it's not just floating in the recesses of your purse.

Rest assured, though. Some things remain the same. My desk still features a wide array of clutter: the yarn weavings the boys did for Art, my teacher's guide (Spelling), five envelopes full of developed pictures, a small pile of used tissues, and a 24-pack of Crayola colored pencils. The problem with being healthy after a week (or more) of being sick is that the to-do list backs up and stacks up. And I'm still weary and my (spring) fever will not respond to treatment (la-la-la-la, I can't hear you!).

I have to admit that I'm kind of bogged down in Jane Smiley's 13 Ways of Looking at the Novel. Reading it makes me feel like I'm back in college, minus the broad back of the cute boy sitting in the front row. What's hilarious to me now is that I thought I was so busy then, so stressed out, so living-the-life-of-drama.

Ha. Someone else cooked all the meals (thanks, Cafeteria Ladies!), I only did laundry for one (and I used the same towel for a week), and I could sleep all day on Saturday if the mood struck. Real stressful. However did I manage?

9 Comments:

Blogger Tori said...

That's so funny...I too thought that I was as busy as anyone could get at Univesity. I mean we had to make it to lectures and make sure we had coffee and lunch breaks... How did we cram it all in to our day!
If we could only have known then...
Four kids have I too and so I feel your pain.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

I feel your pain as well, only without the kids! I think what makes post-secondary such a "delight" compared to the real world is the structure. You can block everything else out if all you're expected to do is fulfill the role of "student" - especially in the early years. A "mature" student could possibly have everything you're dealing with today AND their studies... (SE is a perfect example)

Glad to see you're doing well in all this stuff we call life!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Glad you're finally feeling somewhat better! I know what you mean about being so "stressed" in college. I thought I was so busy ... ha. My vacations are more busy now than any single workday was during college.

And I only have one kid.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! Everyone's healthy again. Glad to hear it. And I hear you on the college drama queen mentality. I did the whole sorority thing and the semester I pledged was so busy. Carly Simon's song "You're So Vain" pretty much summed up my mind and that of my pledge sisters at the time. We thought we were all that and a bag of chips. :-P

8:25 AM  
Blogger Trina said...

Well I didn't do the college scene but I know about that mentality regardless. Lucky its a phase and we grow passed it...LOL
Glad to hear you guys are doing better by the way...FINALLY!!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

That is so funny, and so true. :-) Back then, I wrestled paper, not people.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

LOL!! Too true! Any time somebody uses the phrase "in your spare time" I break out in maniacal laughter!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Mel,
It's funny because my husband and I were talking along similar lines. We are both so busy in retirement that we wonder how we would ever find time to work outside the home! Each stage of life has it's own particular challenges, doesn't it? I'm just happy for the gift of each new day.
Sue

5:17 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

College meant trying to arrange all classes to only fall on 3 "work" days and to take place between the hours of 10am and 4 pm... Gosh, what a struggle!

Pretty much missing those days... if not just for the small amounts of laundry...

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares