Monday, March 13, 2006

The Sun Shines and Yet, I Shiver

If you stand perfectly still in just the right spot outdoors, the sun feels warm. But move into the shadows just a bit and the chill cancels out the sun's warmth. That's spring here in the Pacific Northwest. The crocuses bloom, the green shoots of the tulips inch taller each day and the weeds grow. A week or two ago on a foggy morning, I looked out my back window to see
robins hopping along the grass, pulling worms from the ground. I glanced to the tree and counted twenty-one birds huddling in the damp branches, like Christmas ornaments evenly distributed among the branches.

And while I long for spring, I long even more for an end to the Plague which has overtaken our household. In the first part of February, I had a lingering cold for two weeks, following by a sore throat. On February 25, a stomach virus began a rampage through our family. In a family of six, an illness moves from person to person with the precision, though not the speed, of dominoes falling. It ended just in time for a flu bug (sudden onset, chills, fever, coughs/sneezing, headache) to settle in on March 4. My 8-year old was sick for an entire week and still hasn't regained his appetite nor his strength.

Last Wednesday night, my daughter became suddenly sick. She's still complaining of stomach pain and has a stuffy nose. Saturday night, the illness I had been denying (I told my husband I was NOT going to get sick, no way, no how, ha!), caught up with me and I spent much of Sunday semi-conscious, my whining daughter by my side, dozing. My twins came down with the bug, too, and have been preternaturally quiet. (The one benefit of having ill children.) Today, I am upright, but coughing my head off and working my way through the tissue box. At least the fever ended.

So, I don't even care if the seasons change. I just want everyone in my house to be healthy at the same time. For six months, bare minimum.

* * *

Now, in more important news: Tonight is "24." Last week, I settled in at 9:00 p.m. to watch the latest installment of "24," . . . and wondered how Jack got that bad guy (Henderson?) in the car. Last I knew, Henderson tried to blow up (invincible) Jack. (When will they learn, those bad guys? Jack cannot be destroyed.) It was halfway through the episode when I realized I MISSED THE FIRST HOUR, the extra hour they tacked on before the regular time of 9 p.m.

Drat and double drat. I hate it when that happens.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I can relate to the 'bug blues'. We seem to be in the middle of the road for everything that flies by this winter. Strep has hit us at least 10 times the past 2 months. (multiple times for each child...grrrrr!) Stomach bugs twice for everyone. I feel like we're crawling that last mile of winter. I picture us all on our knees, struggling to make it to the finish line, which is spring. GASP, chOKe, coUgH and SpUTTer. Hang in there. Things have to be looking up soon!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I might have the missing episode of 24 you seek. They're really killing them off this season.

8:19 PM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

Oh my God! They killed Edgar! You bastards!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Spoiler alert! If you're not caught up on 24 don't read. You have been warned.







Alive: Jack, Audrey, Aaron, Choloe, Mike, Curtis, Bill.
Dead: Tony, Michelle, Edgar, Palmer, Lynne.
Wish were dead: Kim, Her annoying boyfriend, Chase (at least he's not in the show....yet), the whiny President, Henderson.
People you hate but don't even know: Homeland Security team, especially that woman, Hal Gardener, anyone else from Division.

You have to wonder if they're trying to make it the last season. But overall this is a great season. Unless it ends horribly, it's right up there with season 2 as one of the best. But it is premature to say this since we're little more than halfway through. I love 24.

1:23 PM  
Blogger oshee said...

Sunday was a beautiful day there! Altho, I did wear my heavy jacket as we explored the Kubota Gardens.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares