Friday, March 10, 2006

True Confession

I have a Mean Streak. I do. I know I shouldn't say that out loud, especially where people can (and probably will) use my own words as ammunition, but I say it anyway.

I.
Have.
A.
Mean.
Streak.

This explains why I laugh at "American's Funniest Videos" when someone falls down. This explains why I smirk at the baby's screams when I am a little slow getting the bottle to her imploring hands. This explains why I like to watch the first shows of "American Idol" more than the last shows. My Mean Streak.

I suppose a more theologically astute (and pretentious) person might point out that a Mean Streak is kind of like a Sin Nature. I have one. You have one, too, but you probably don't want to admit it. I don't like to admit it, either. It's best to just keep the Mean Streak hidden, to pretend it's not there.

My Mean Streak thinks terrible thoughts sometimes. My Mean Streak shines the spotlight of judgment on stupid people and judges them for their stupidity. My Mean Streak shrugs off the gentle hand of Benefit of the Doubt and would prefer to tell it like it is, according to me, of course.

I carry a mental gag in my pocket at all times, so I can shut up the Mean Streak's mouth before I do any damage. My Mean Streak is muffled. Mostly. I don't say out loud the worst of what I think.

But, oh! Some times I can hardly contain myself! I cannot understand non-thinkers. I don't get why people are not interested in reading. Why doesn't everyone want to figure out their own personality, their angst, their development? How is it that some people are not interested in understanding people?

Why are people so stupid? And why does it bother me so much? Why do people make such devastatingly stupid choices? And why should I care?

Some days, my Mean Streak won't stop squawking and on those days, it's best to just shut up. If only I had an Isolation Chamber where I could hide before my Main Streak lands a punch squarely on the face of the nearest knucklehead.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, I will step forward and say that I, too have a mean streak. ESPECIALLY about that last crowd you mentioned -- why DON'T people want to know what makes them tick? It may even help them figure out why they're so stupid! I think that's why we're told to take up our cross DAILY -- because my mean streak ALWAYS wakes up first!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

My friend, I think we were somehow separated at birth.

Schadenfreude ahoy!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I ALWAYS laugh at the bumpersticker that says,
"Jesus loves you but everyone else thinks you're a jerk"
I know exactly what you mean. I pray for grace on a DAILY basis. It is hard when people are so dern stupid.

PS. LOVE LOVE LOVE Francine Rivers. Have you read many of her books? Have I asked you this before? haha. I don't remember but that doesn't mean much anymore..

4:52 PM  
Blogger MissKris said...

First of all I went to Gina's blog...what a find and thank you for pointing us in her direction. Now...on to the meat of the matter. Why do most people make stupid choices? Because I honestly don't think there are all that many people out there with the intelligence to make intelligent choices. There is some major link missing out there. I don't know what it is but if I ever figure it out, I'll let you know. And I have a Mean Streak tho I keep it tempered most of the time, lol! I am one of the world's most incurable, addicted People Watcher's of all time and I am constantly amazed and appalled by what goes on out there in the Great Wide World every day. And I ain't saying I'm no Einstein myself, but I was raised to believe using common sense is a great rule of thumb in surviving. Maybe the rest of the world wasn't taught that lesson, hmmmmmm.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have some kind of overly-empathetic streak. When I see people fall down or otherwise humiliated on those videos shows, I feel really bad for them!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I have a mean streak.

For years I thought I kept it well hidden.

Until, one day I was leading a group of women and THE STUPIDEST WOMAN ON EARTH was in the group.

A friend politely told me that she could tell that I could not stand this woman.

I couldn't.

Even Mr. Roger's would have wanted to hit her.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Me too, me too. I belong to the Mean Streak Club. It's worse when you're in a position of renown...like being a preacher's wife or a Christian leader of some sort. I hate it when other people can let their mean streak show, and I'm not allowed to.

8:54 PM  
Blogger oshee said...

**judge not lest ye be judged**
My mean streak doesn't like that idea very much. lol
And try as I might to love and accept all...someone always ends up doing something stupid.
Then I have to start trying all over again.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too. You're not alone!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Gee, you are a lot meaner than me. I feel better now.

Of course i am passive agressive and judge myself more harshly before I would ever presume to judge another.

And, I don't consider myself a Christian, that standard is too high for me.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every. Single. Day. My grace is tested. Every. Single Day. The side affect is that my emotional meter has been dialed so far down, I fear I'm becoming numb. Because otherwise......
I have to find a balance.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

LOL Mel. You know this is not really a surprise to us? ;)

Suzanne

8:54 PM  
Blogger Feeble Knees said...

I gotta get me one of those bumper stickers emma-benny-jenny-bee mentioned. Hi-larious!

My mean streak and I love you & yours Mel! ;)

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares