Thursday, March 09, 2006

What Were You Doing 35 Years Ago?

Thirty-five years ago, I was in kindergarten. I remember almost nothing of that school year. I went half the year to one school, then we moved and I went half a year to another. I don't even remember my teachers' names.

Little did I know that on this very day, thirty-five years later, Gina would be born. What a great addition she is to the planet earth. Will you go and tell her happy birthday? She writes a witty and often hilarious blog.

* * *

Plague Update:

Son slept all night.

Daughter woke at 12:30 a.m. Fever subsided, but she needed to pee. I rocked her a few minutes and put her back to bed. She slept until 5:00 a.m. and insisted on getting up to watch a video. Fine. I let her and went back to bed, where she soon joined me. She never slept again and I may have lost consciousness or maybe not. It's hard to say. She began to cry about her legs hurting and her head hurting at about the time I had to get up at 6:30 a.m., so I convinced her to drink a little medicine. Boy, she hates that!

Here's what I learned from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website:

Incubation period for the flu, 1-4 days.
Spread by droplets in coughs and sneezes and also by transference (touching something with droplets on it).
Fever can last 3-4 days.
Fatigue/exhaustion can last 2-3 weeks.
Ill person is contagious a day before symptoms show and a full five days after the first symptoms.

She's licking a sucker now, sneezing and chatting with her buddy who just arrived, which is confusing to me after last night's delirious fever. I'm still diagnosing this as "flu" rather than "cold," however, because of the sudden onset and severe headache.

Oh, and it snowed last night, just a dusting.

16 Comments:

Blogger Shalee said...

Oh, honey... you need a good strong cup of tea and a nap after your last few days!

Just remember: "This, too, shall pass..." (but hopefully not in the literal sense because you are a very good momma to keep it contained!)

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

35 years ago I was in 6th grade. I remember mostly because I loved school as it wa my escape from home,which was a mess...

It seems like the the worse might be on the way to being over, I certainly hope so. My thoughts for ever speedy recoveries are with you and your family.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, it was 53 years ago for me. My teacher's name was Miss Mitchum. 35 years ago I was in College of Ed, and I remember my main teachers from then too. Now, if I could only remember what Cuppa told me 3 minutes ago.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

(Bowing humbly) Thanks Mel.

And snow! Wow!

9:44 AM  
Blogger oshee said...

You deserve a long hot scented bath and a foot massage. Yeah right..I know...doesn't mean you don't deserve it.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

35 years ago, I was packing up to come home to Canada from the US: no job prospects, no home, no wife (divorced) and a young child to raise. It was five minutes into April Fool's day that I crossed into Canada. Life could have been better!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you don't catch it!

1:16 PM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

Oh lawdy, please tell me you & hubby got flu shots this year. (Gulp, I didn't...)

Kindergarten (same year as Mel, of course)in the morning w/Mrs. Ringen. First day I wore a little dress that had an white blouse, orange vest, & a big polka-dotted blue bowtie. Jeff W. (he's a teacher now) was crying outside the room. Naps after graham crackers & milk (which I couldn't drink). Trying to bluff my way through knowing my address & Mrs. R. sending me back to try again. LOL.

And that's pretty much all I remember, including all the way thru high school.

Btw, Mrs. Ringen & I attend the same church now. Do you have any idea how hard it is to call your kindergarten teacher by her first name?!?

1:27 PM  
Blogger oshee said...

That is so funny dinodoc! I attend church with my second-grade teacher. I pointed her out to my kids and told them 'she was my teacher'. Their faces were awstruck. I have YET to call her by her first name. LOL

2:06 PM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

35 years ago, i hadn't been conceived yet, but i'm sure my parents were raising hell in high school...

A few weeks ago, I had some kind of stomach bug that pushed my temp to 102... and now that I'm well again, spring has sprung, bringing with it all the things that wreck havok on my asthma. So, I feel your pain. I hope everyone in your home gets well soon.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

35 years ago I was almost two and we were living in a trailer park in West Lafayette, IN, while my Dad got his PhD. at Purdue University.

I'm sorry to hear about the flu--it seems to be going around late this year. Strangely, 75% of the bloggers I read seem to have had the flu in their family this week or last.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

We have been flu dodging all winter long - and so far have been lucky (oops, may have just jinxed us!) Thirty five years ago I was (gasp) 11??? Yikes - I was in 6th grade and totally boy crazy (sadly they were not crazy about me)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Brandie said...

35 years ago I was an egg in my mother's ovary ;-)
But I hope that everyone gets better in your house and soon!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I was twelve.

Life was good.

I was crazy about a boy named David S. He had long bangs. Long bangs were cool then.

Remember how everyone with a common name had a letter behind it?

I didn't realize that in kindgergarten and thought there really were boys named Kenny A, Kenny G, and Kenny R.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

35 years ago I was 11 and can't for the life of me remember what grade I was in. I've got the disease Dain Bramage brought on by 4 kids, 3 cats and a disabled hubby.

Hope the flu/whateveritis passes for y'all.

~Carol

9:47 PM  
Blogger C said...

The flu knocked all six of us on our butts this year. It was MISERABLE! I was just finishing up my second full week of misery with it when I was hit by strep throat.

Hang in there. It's a doozy!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares