Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Note Before Sleep

I knew she was feeling better when she appeared in the kitchen wearing her powder-blue pajama shirt with the pink flowers, the navy blue striped with red swimsuit bottom from The Gap, and a red homemade knit cap with matching scarf wrapped around her neck and tossed jauntily over her shoulders.

She woke up last night, though, at 11:45 p.m., needing to use the bathroom. Then she woke up at 6:00 a.m., again needing to use the bathroom. I put her back to bed again, and she slept another hour, then had a bath and watched a video for awhile before crawling into bed with me and her daddy. We were all sleeping at 8:30 a.m., when my son, The Birthday Boy, quietly opened the door and asked if he should get dressed.

Since my daughter seemed better, my husband thought I should go to the birthday party and so I hurried to get the boys and myself ready to leave by 9:40 a.m. We had to stop to buy film and a gift bag, but managed to arrive on time. The party was "the best party I ever had!" according to The Birthday Boy.

I napped with my daughter this afternoon while the boys played and my husband ran errands. Though the symptoms of the virus subsided, both of us were so tired that we slept an hour and a half. (She's napped already earlier.) So far, no one else shows signs of the stomach virus. Time will tell. (One commenter suggested it sounds like the "Norwalk Virus." It sure does!)

Tomorrow is my son's actual birthday which means that eight years ago tonight, I was awake, timing contractions, having no idea that the smart thing would be to sleep because I still had twenty-four hours to go before delivery!

What were you doing eight years ago?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

8 years ago, we were two months away from our first born's first birthday. He was taking his first steps and it was all fun and cute.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Eight years ago I was a stay at home mom doing day care - same as you! My youngest was 3 months away from turning 5 - we had recently aquired our Pug, Maggie - my daughter was just beginning her struggles with self, others and depression at age 11 - my oldest 2 boys were finishing up 8th greade and freshman year. Wow, how much has happened in 8 years!

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I was probably locked in the church with a huge bunch of hungry, crabby teenagers participating in the 30HR Famine. Teenagers without sleep and with low bloodsugar....I'd rather have been in your shoes. ;-)

12:16 PM  
Blogger deedee said...

8 years ago today, I was 6 months pregant with my first child, after five years of trying, and fertility treatments. I was full of anticipation and excitement for the child that was finally coming into our lives.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

ahem. It seems I was, well, "making" a baby. Aside from said baby, 1998 was one of the most stressful years of my life. It was one of those years when you think you just can't go on. I'm glad I went on, though. These past 7 years have been the best of my entire life.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had three teenagers.

Life was busy.

It was fun.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple of weeks before, my son turned 16. My daughter was 12. I had decided that it was time for their dad and me to separate, yet wondering if I (we) should give it one more go. The much of the rest of that year was the go--it went. We separated the next year.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

so sorry you've been sick. Hope by now you're all better.

8:54 AM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

Um. I have no flipping clue.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Sugarmama said...

I had that same virus around New Year's. And also passed it along to nearly every guest at our New Year's Day party. Oy vey!

8 years ago I was about 4 months pregnant with my first child. I was probably already in bed by 8:15. Which actually sounds pretty heavenly right about now...!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares