Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Elastic Post, Fully Expanded

I will be back later to expand am back! Here are the topics:

1) Valentine's Day, what really happened;
My husband spend Valentine's Day with another woman. Gasp! But he did come home during the day to deliver flowers, chocolate, and a teddy bear (which was immediately confiscated by my daughter, even though he brought her one, too). I said, "Uh, I have a card around here somewhere." But his visit was unexpected and I didn't have the card signed until today. I told you. I'm no romantic! I did stick up a bunch of Valentine window-clings, though, which my daughter said were, "Pretty! So pretty!"

My daughter and I baked pink, heart-shaped cookies and then the children and I ate a heart-shaped pepperoni pizza. My husband finally dragged in after 8:00 p.m. Oh, and that other woman? She's in the hospital, very near to the end of her life on this earth. My heart goes out to the whole family. They've been very good friends to us and we hate this sad and painful good-bye.

2) Runny noses, and who has them;
My nose is past the runny stage, but currently my daughter's nose is red, raw and runny, and so are the noses of the two babies in my care. You needed to know that, didn't you?

3) Living in a shoe, with children;
I've been trying to stick close to home in the evenings, in anticipation of my upcoming weekend away. And the past two weekends have been very busy, running to and fro and back to again. I haven't had a decent break away for a long time. In the story of the old woman who lives in a shoe, I would be currently starring as the shoe insert, down-trodden, stinky, and sick of children climbing all over me. Really, the thing that can get to you when you work at home and live with a bunch of kids of varying ages is the sheer isolation (from adults with brains)and the house-induced monotony. At least, it gets to me.

4) Sleep, and why I'm not getting enough, sleep, that is.
As mentioned in #2, my daughter has a runny nose. The past two nights, she's screamed out my name around midnight, rousing me from sleep. Yesterday morning, at 4:44 a.m., she sobbed hysterically for me. This morning, it was 5:25 a.m., and she was determined to stay awake and watch a DVD. Fine. Watch a DVD. See if I care. I'm going back to bed. That's what I said. (There goes that Mother of the Year Award.) By about 6:00 a.m., she crawled into bed with us and we dozed until 7:00 a.m., at which point I moaned to my husband, "If it were possible to die from exhaustion, I'd be dead right now."

But for now, the dryer is buzzing, my eye is twitching and my house still contains four children who do not belong to me. It's now 10:45 p.m. and I've just returned from the grocery store where I purchased fixings for the Sunday night meal at the ocean cottage. (Each of us are responsible for one meal during the Girls' Weekend.) I drove a cute Kia Spectra because our car is in the shop for the second time in as many weeks. It spontaneously quit running again. Last time, the mechanic declared ("I do declare!") that he couldn't find anything wrong.

Stupid car. So I have a dead 1991 Chevy Astro van in my driveway and a broken car in the shop and a rental car in my driveway. It's a veritable junkyard around here. All I need is a mean dog with yellow teeth.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle said...

Something to look forward to!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

1. For us - absolutely nothing

2. The hubster is sniffling a bit - but mine only runs the minute I step foot into the flower shop (where I work)

3. More like living WITH shoes - sometimes can't even get the back door fully opened with all the shoes in the way!

4. Sleep - if it were a bill I would have my fill - but it's like vacation - never enough.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Well, since we're on the topic:

1 You'll have to check out my post! http://turtleguy70.blogspot.com/2006/02/smitten-turtle.html

2 That would be my sister's family - she has the 3 kids!

3 Good thing it's not a sandal - we're expecting a wind chill of -40 tonight!

4 Refer to point #1

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Isn't life full of all kinds of richnesses! (see, I can even make up words!)

10:01 PM  
Blogger tab said...

well, I'm woken up around 1 am, then again around 4 am (every stinking day) by a little person that only weighs about 15 lbs and about 27 inches long...but she's really cute....and then have to get up around 6:10 am to get the boys off to school......and dh even have to wonder why I'm "tired" all the time.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I'm so sorry about the passing of your friend.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares