Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy VD


I uncovered this in my storage-room clean-up last weekend, and so, while I type, my daughter is behind me, pressing buttons, switching from one Mozart tune to the next.

Meanwhile, one of my sons watches Cartoon Network while his twin plays on the other computer. My third son is at school for another thirty-minutes. And the two babies are sleeping. In the distance, the clothes dryer squeaks with every revolution.

My daughter keeps asking, "Can I watch the glue dry?" This morning, we cut out a red construction paper heart and wrote a message for daddy in glitter glue. She climbs onto the table to watch the glue dry from time to time. I think we'll make heart-shaped sugar cookies soon.

I declared today an official sick day so we didn't do any school work. My daughter woke up screaming at 4:44 a.m. She sobbed, "I am so sick!" but went back to sleep after a trip to the bathroom and a few minutes of rocking. I, however, struggled to fall back to sleep as I am suffering from cold symptoms myself.

And the two babies have snotty noses and I knew everyone would want attention and rocking. So, no school. The boys made their own Valentine hearts while I rocked with my daughter and one of the babies.

I must note that we have blue skies and sunshine today. Also, the purple crocuses and one yellow crocus are blooming. How I love the reliable surprise of spring bulbs. Oh! And while I stood at the kitchen sink, a raccoon waddled across my small back yard in plain view.

I remembered another Valentine's Day. On Valentine's Day, 1996, my twin boys had chicken pox. The worst symptoms had passed, but on that day, they were pockmarked and spotted and horrific. I tried to find a picture that wasn't already fastened into a scrapbook, but I was unsuccessful. I did, however, find a lot of unorganized photos which made my head sort of explode. I intend to spend my evening sorting and organizing pictures and wondering why I wasn't thankful for being young when I was young.

Incidentally, I have always had a warm spot in my heart for Roseanne,yes, that Roseanne, mostly because my dad thought she was funny (way back in the stand-up days, before her show). And she was funny. I remember the line about why men think women can find things because, "Like, they think the uterus is a tracking device." But this "Rockin' With Roseanne" DVD made for children scares me. All that based on some clips I saw while she was making the talk-show rounds.

You know me. I like to share the judgmentalism whenever I can. It's Valentine's Day, after all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Deb Heller said...

Roseanne has always scared me.

Here's to wishing you a quiet evening, and a more restful night of sweet dreams!

4:15 PM  
Blogger houseband00 said...

Happy VD!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

heehee. You said "Happy VD"

6:44 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Lucky you, crocuses already. Ours are still a month away.

7:10 PM  
Blogger methatiam said...

Ah yes, this is an exiting time of year ? the sandburs and foxtails will soon be in bloom, the rattle snakes, scorpions and black widows are waking from their cold hibernation and we haven?t seen rain since before Halloween, so the coyotes and bobcats are going into the city in search of water.
Some one PLEASE tell me why I live in the desert!
-Get better (all of you)

5:45 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Valentine's Day would just not be Valentine's Day without the sharing of the judgements, says I.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

That title had me worried. I'm glad to hear that you're sharing the love and letting your daughter watch glue dry. Nice. Good fun. Good fun.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares