Thursday, February 16, 2006

Another Commercial Interruption

I love to read and I read a wide variety of subject matter, including the backs of cereal boxes and "Reader's Digest" every month. But I hardly ever read romance novels and even more rarely, would I even think of picking up an "inspirational romance." I mean, does anything shout "HORRIBLE WRITING! TRITE PLOT! FLIMSY CHARACTERS!" any more than the back of an "inspirational romance" novel?

So, I probably wouldn't have picked up this novel by Brenda Coulter based on the banner across the front of the book which says, "HEARTWARMING INSPIRATIONAL ROMANCE," and yet, when I read on her website that she was offering free books to bloggers willing to review them, I jumped right on that bandwagon. And Brenda Coulter sent me one of her books, autographed and everything. (How I love books!)

I'll let you check out the description of the plot on Amazon, but let me just say that I was shocked, stunned, taken off guard by how much I enjoyed reading this book! Brenda Coulter is a fine writer who weaves a terrific tale of love, romantic and otherwise. I actually sniffled my way through the last couple of chapters.

And remember, I don't even read romance novels or (true confession) "Christian" fiction. But I can recommend this book to you if you 1) like romance novels (without the gratuitous, uh, scenes, if you know what I mean) ; 2) like good writing or 3) feel like supporting a new writer. (You can read Brenda Coulter's blog, "No Rules. Just Write." here. Oh and here's an interesting fact. She started writing her first inspirational romance novel the same afternoon she finished reading one for the first time. A Family Forever is her second novel, available from Steeple Hill Love Inspired in stores after February 28. Or, more easily, you can just order it from Amazon.)

I will keep my eyes open for Brenda Coulter's new book and recommend her to my friends who are particularly fond of this genre.

Thanks, Brenda Coulter, for the free book and the chance to review it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0373873581

5 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim said...

Mel,
You are a true friend. :-)

4:30 PM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

What with all the edgy, modern and post-modern fiction I read for school (and enjoy immensely, I might add), every now and again, it becomes necessary to "cleanse my literary palette".

I was at my godsister's house a couple of years ago when I lamented, "I just want to read a book where nobody is having intimate relations with their fathers/stepfathers, no one is shooting up, no one is being beaten up for being homosexual, and nobody's just been released from prison. I just want to read a book where people are nice to each other."

My inspirational romances are the Milford series by Jan Karon.

Don't knock inspirational romances. They can be just what the doctor ordered. (And you're hearing that from a non-christian, so there ya go.)

~C~

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I also jumped on that bandwagon and had the exact same experience. So I wildly enjoyed your review!!!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Chel said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I love romance novels but hate 'Christian' romances as I tend to think most authors of the genre have trouble integrating the spiritual and the romantic so that it flows easily. I'll be sure to check out this new author.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Gem said...

I've really been enjoying Kristin Heitzmann's novels. Romance, but with real characters who actually struggle in their faith. I've read 3 so far, working on my fourth.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares