Sunday, March 19, 2006

Wherein I Pout and Rant and Rave and Leave Home

Yesterday, my husband had to work. The funeral started at 2 p.m., so by noon, he was gone and I was still here. I admit that I was the tiniest bit pouty about the fact that I faced another Saturday at home with the children and the laundry and the dirty kitchen floor. He said, "You could at least have a good attitude," and you know, that's true. I could, but I didn't. I don't know . . . maybe six weeks of illness and too many weekends in a row at home have taken a toll. You think?

Anyway, then, of course, I felt remorse and shame at my petty pouty attitude. And so I gathered the children together ("Where are we going?" "I'm not telling." "Why not?" "Because you'll complain." "Oh, Mom! That means it's somewhere we'll hate!") and off we went in our 1987 Chevy Astro van.

First stop? Gas station.
Second stop? Bank.
Third stop? Wendy's drive-through.
Fourth stop? Zoo.
Fifth stop? Dairy Queen.
Sixth stop? Side of the road so I could stop screaming and start wiping up the ice cream plastered all over my daughter's fingers, dripping on the floor.
Seventh stop? Video game store.
Eighth stop? Parking lot of video game store where I completely blew a gasket and considered simply walking about from my family. Why? An entire spilled Cookie Dough Blizzard in the third row. Children clamped their mouths shut, quite wisely, so while I ranted and raved, it could have been worse. For instance, the Blizzard might have spilled on carpet rather than the plastic floor mat thingy.
Ninth stop? Back home.

My husband called a bit later to let me know the funeral had ended and that he'd be home and then I could leave if I wanted. I had been under the impression that I wouldn't get a chance to get out of the house alone, so this was a delightful surprise. I practically sprinted out the front door when he arrived home.

I poked around in my favorite local discount stores and ended my evening using my lone remaining movie gift card. I saw "Failure to Launch," the Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker movie. The reviews have been dismal, but I went anyway, figuring at the very least I'd just gaze at Matthew McConaughey, who is one fine looking man.

The question is . . . would he be as fine without that accent?

And about Sarah Jessica Parker . . . she is two months younger than me. She has a son the age of my daughter. Her hair, in its natural state, is the color my hair in its natural state. But that is all we have in common. She's somehow managing to remain young and nubile, while I have two age spots on my hands. I hate her.

The Plague has passed and all that remains are random coughs and an occasional sneeze. I am thankful to be alive.

18 Comments:

Blogger oshee said...

I hope you found the time alone rejuvinating. Do not be too hard on yourself for needing it either. Attitude is important but validation of your feelings is often all that we need to find that positive attitude again.
I validate you! I have been there..too often. You seem to give so much of yourself.
I am glad your children are doing better.

11:36 PM  
Blogger deedee said...

I think all moms need a little time away. Just a little peaceful breathing room. There are times when my patience for another spilled drink flies out the window and I blow up, yell, rant, rave. Sometimes, it's just too much. A couple of hours away lets off the built up pressure, leaving room for the patience to come back.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I, too, am thankful to be alive. My two age spots are on my face.

Here's hoping you have a relaxed week.

Suzanne

4:53 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Glad you had the chance to get out for a bit. In my house, those are called Coffee Breaks. An occasional Coffee Break is definitely a wonderful thing--made even more wonderful by just how rare they are.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

My age spot is on my face.

But, other women in my family, whom I love dearly have one in the same place. That makes me like it.

And, the thought that if we weren't aging we would be dead.

Is "Failure to Launch" worth seeing? I have a 21 year old still living with me. Will I cry???

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say the time away worked its magic if you've calmed down enough to see the humor in your day. Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually relax enough to see the humor at the time?

SJP envy/hate aside, how was the movie? Is it worth the $8 to see?

7:29 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Mel,
Glad you got some "me" time! We all need that.
Hopefully all the sickness has gone away for a while.
Enjoy this day,
Sue

9:00 AM  
Blogger Jack-on-the-Lake said...

I also saw it and expected it to "just be okay" - I never get to go to movies so I was just happy to be at one.

Loved it. Actually laughed hard several times - takes a lot for me to do that and well worth it. Good chick flick - nothing more.

12:52 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

We too, thought it was very a funny cute movie. Glad it took the edge off for you.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my absolute fav place to escape to by myself: Target. You're a very brave woman to make all those stops with the children along... very brave indeed.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm glad you got a break. Sounds like you were on the verge of melt down.

And is it just me or does Sarah Jessica Parker have an incredibly LOOOOONG face????

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! I can't wait for the joys of parenting... you don't know how good you got it until you're newly married staring at your husband and wishing you had kids to entertain you while he reads stupid science fiction fantasy.

oh yes, life with out kids is grrrrreat.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

HAHA! My doctor thinks I am "suffering from exhaustion & could I do a night or 2 away at a hotel by myself?!"

Doctor's orders... Rizt Carlton here I come!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You are too funny! Thanks for your honesty. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to run in the closet and scream at the top of my lungs! :) Glad the Plague has finally passed.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

I love your day - sounds like one of mine.
And Mathew for desert... always good...

9:27 PM  
Blogger Trina said...

Sounds like a wild and crazy day!!
I am glad you got some ME time too. I just went and seen that movie on Monday night with a girlfriend. It was cute but the company was more enjoyable really. Now you want to see a GREAT FUNNY movie, you must see "Dick and Jane" I havent laughed soo hard in forever!!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Sounds like your time out alone was great! I am SO happy for you. Smart hubby!! ;)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Gem said...

Oh, he is fine, fine fine! It's all I can do to close my mouth and not drool when he starts talking. I'm not sure it would be the same without the accent, but for me it's those blinding white teeth AND the accent. Although in Reign of Fire he had nasty teeth, was grimy and dirty, tattooed, and still oh, so fine!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares