Thursday, October 27, 2005

Pilfered Cookies Lead to Impressive Vocabulary Word

Nothing says "I am a good housewife," like a crock pot simmering on the counter. On these days where I manage to think ahead (why I can't remember that I have to cook dinner
every
single
night
is one of the great mysteries of the human brain) I am so pleased with myself that I tend to ignore the rest of the household chores. I simply rest in my smugness, knowing that we will, indeed, be eating a hearty dinner together. And that makes me look good.

I stayed in bed until the last possible minute this morning (7:50 a.m.), which seemed to alarm my husband, but he didn't know what I knew. (One of my babies isn't here today and the toddler arrived late.) I've sort of been slouching through this day ever since, with the exception of doing the dishes, washing, drying and folding three loads of laundry, cleaning out the fridge, and getting dinner into the crock pot (barbecued pork, if you really must know).

Tonight, our 7-year old has soccer practice and I managed to schedule my parent-teacher conference with his teacher before he and my husband get back. Which means I'll have to take my 3-year old with me. Poor planning on my part.

Speaking of my daughter, today she and her buddy were sitting at the base of the stairs. She said to him, "This is frustrating!" As I approached, I could see they were sharing a pack of Oreo cookies which they pilfered from his lunchbox. She couldn't get the remaining cookies out of the package. I was impressed that she used the word "frustrating" correctly in a sentence.

Of course, kids learn by example, so apparently I use the word "frustrating" often enough to teach my baby girl to say it, too. So now you know.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

This is funny. Each one of my guys when they were just talking used to use the word "actually". Try as I might, I couldn't catch myself using it more than any other word, but I must of. One of them used it so often at age 2 that a neighbor actually called him Actually. Woops, did I just do what I think I did?
Thanks for bringing back a giggle of a memory.

And thank you for the e-mail. I have been so encouraged by fellow bloggers lately. I did not leave you my blog address. It is chasedbythelion.blogspot.com

8:05 PM  
Blogger Saramnou said...

Ahhhhh you got Dessert spamed!!
Shame on you for mentioning cookies huh!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Melodee said...

Bye-bye spam!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

How cute! I love it when little children start to use big words....I guess as long as there are no "condiments" involved....

8:48 AM  
Blogger Krisco said...

That is funny - I forget I have to cook dinner too - and yet I need to do it every single night. What IS up with that?!!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hi! Your blog is great. I'm with you on the forgetting to cook dinner! I don't know why or how I forget or why it is such a shock every night. My friend told me about this lady called the Dinner Diva that plans menus for you. Her website is www.savingdinner.com. She has a few books, and also has weekly subscription menus she'll email you complete with shopping list and nutritional info! It's really cool. She has several to choose from and just came out with a crock pot menu also. I've been really happy with the meals I've prepared. When I remember to do the crock-pot, it feels like magic that dinner is ready! She's worth checking out. Best wishes to you and your family.
Sincerely,
Heather
http://fortheloveoflibby.blogspot.com

11:46 AM  
Blogger Gem said...

Does she watch Blues Clues? Steve did a really neat episode on being frustrated when my Dd6 was around 3 or so. It was helpful, I could explain how I was feeling and so could she, without either of us just melting down and yelling at each other.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares