Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Rotten Night of Sleep Thanks to Robots

Why is it that when I stay up too late--way, way, way too late--one of my children wakes up in the middle of the night?

I was snoring my brains out at 4:30 a.m. when I came to my senses and heard my daughter calling my name. I hurried to her room and found her standing in her crib. All her stuffed animals and dollies had been unceremoniously tossed out and she was doing the Potty Dance.

"I have to pee in the potty!" she said.

Afterward, she told me solemnly, "I had a bad dream about robots. They scared me." And then she insisted she wanted to watch a video.

And I let her. I placed her Piglet-fleece covered pillow in front of her small tv/vcr combo and put in "Finding Nemo." I covered her up and went back to bed.

But that was not the end of that. Soon, she crawled into bed with me--in my king-sized bed--and cuddled right next to me. Please explain to me why a three-year old gets six feet of bed-space and I get six inches? Why do kids push adults right to the edge of sanity the bed? She kicked me for an hour before we both feel asleep again. At some point she got up again and went to her room, but honestly, things are hazy. I have no idea what happened in those pre-dawn hours.

All I know is that at 8:08 a.m., I woke with a start and struggled from bed as quickly as I could. She was sleeping. I don't set an alarm clock because she wakes up every morning by 7:00 a.m., so now I was late, really, really late. I teach the preschool Sunday School class at church and I have to be there by 8:45 a.m.

We made it to church by 8:55 a.m.

And home by 11:55 a.m. In another hour, I will load up the kids in the car and we'll go to my 7-year old's end-of-the-season soccer lunch at a pizza place. I suppose it will be loud, but I have taken two Advils and consumed some Diet Coke in preparation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's what happens to me, too, all the time!! wow, good rush getting there, though!! Have fun tonight and I believe diet coke is a cure - all, so you should be set!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Sis said...

I was thinking of getting a tv.vcr combo for my sleepless little one but apparently it doesn't always work, huh?

Weird...Alex had a bad dream about robots last night as well.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares