Friday, November 18, 2005

All By Myself

Dear Blog Readers,

I am alone. Sort of. Two of my four children are nestled all snug in their beds. Two are out at a movie, due home at any moment. My husband is in Texas. Please keep this in mind when you consider whether or not to comment on my riveting (and dull) posts over the next week. When in doubt, comment. It's been so quiet around here. (Quiet is relative, of course, but I meant in the cyber-sense of the word.)

Today was a long day because I babysat the baby boy at 6 p.m. tonight rather than at 8:30 this morning. So, I had a half-hour between my regular day-shift and this night shift. Really, I didn't mind. I intended to stay home with my kids anyway since my husband's out of town, so what did it matter, really? He is the cutest baby ever (except for your cute baby, of course).

Oh! And guess what happened today? My other baby, the 6-month old, was on her tummy on the floor. She is fairly immobile because she is built like a sausage, but twice, she's rolled from tummy to back, but I haven't seen her do it. Today, I noticed her stretching her neck and reaching her arm and sure enough, as I watched, she rolled over.

She hasn't done this trick for anyone but me. Seeing this baby reach a milestone was kind of cool. I went over and applauded and she giggled and we clapped and clapped at her brilliance.

Oh! And guess what happened last night at the science fair? I had carefully poked holes in each end of an egg and emptied it by blowing the insides out. This empty egg shell was part of our simple display about making eggs rubbery. Well, as we sat on the bench in front of our display, waiting for a grown-up to come and query my son about the project, a small kid, probably about four years old, wiggled next to me at the adjoining display. I kind of scooted over and then this little kid reached behind my back and GRABBED THE EGG. With a crunch, it broke.

I let out a very undignified yelp, followed by a "HEY! DON'T TOUCH!" He broke my empty eggshell! The nerve of some kids. Where were his parents?

Well. That's it, I guess. Don't leave me sitting here in silence. Really.

Thanks!

Love and kisses,
Mel

12 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I'm first!

Seriously, I think it is probably people getting ready for the holiday season more than anything that is keeping your comments much lower than normal.

At least, that's better than the other alternative, isn't it?

;)

Never anything but riveting posts on this blog!

Good luck this week, my friend...

11:41 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Oh, dear, sorry about the egg!

That kid's parents were probably chasing after their 2-year-old, who I bet is even faster and more dangerous.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm...a comment. A comment? okay. Sorry this comment wasn't posted last night. Despite how I love to read your blog and it is high on my list of "Things to Do" each day, I got home at midnight last night after a 20-hour day, and sorry to say, reading your blog NEVER crossed my mind. But don't feel bad; peeing and brushing my teeth never crossed my mind either (I ended up doing both, but I don't remember it).

Hey, it's Saturday :o) May your kids be freakishly good today!

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some people's dids, I tell you!! Sounds like a nice, very near quiet moment. Hope all goes well this Saturday for you, although, I should say, I anticipate some great stories from you!

8:15 AM  
Blogger M3 said...

Hey, Happy Saturday Mel!

I'm off to Starbucks then shopping for a cooking party we're having this afternoon. (You pick the recipes in advance, divide up the ingredients, and everyone brings stuff - 2 TB salt, 3 limes, bunch of green onions, etc.). Then you cook, drink wine, and eat.

Have a great weekend.

And sorry about the crushed egg - freaky little kid! ;-)

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I really enjoy reading your blog every day!
Although I have no kids of my own I love reading about your bunch!

Sofie

10:10 AM  
Blogger Jen R. said...

It's so exciting when babies roll over like that..mine is doing the same right now..yay for you!!

And the egg..where were his parents? I would have been a little ticked...

1:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Do you ever get the feeling that everyone else's kids are brats???

Except for the kids of all of you who are reading, of course! :-)

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, mine was the biggest brat of them all today! But I was WISHING he was someone else's :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I used to watch a loud and observant child when mine were all in school.

While grocery shopping, she and I passed a very tired looking factory worker. My guess was she was ending her shift and grabbing dinner before fetching her kids from school.

Anyway, my darling little neighbor girl took one look at her, and after we passed she said in her NOT inside voice...

"She was NOT CUTE!"

That is when I decided to start a line of tee-shirts that say "This Is Not My Child".

(...i always feel like i comment too much...)

7:01 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

But you like silence! How dare we pop in and interrupt it. :)

Hope all is well.

Suzanne

9:36 AM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Four kids, husband gone on a trip - I am amazed you are still functional.

Congrats to your baby girl - Tommy just learned to roll from his tummy to his back today. It's amazing to watch. He's so proud of himself!

Don't worry, we'll keep you company! I always have plenty to say, just no time to fit it in. Ha. I need one of those dictaphone type computer programs so I can just speak my blogs. Much more efficient that way.

Maybe I should put that on my Christmas list!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares