Friday, November 11, 2005

The Missing Purple Lollipop

My daughter skipped her nap yesterday. As mothers everywhere know, a missed naptime is the beginning of the End of the World As We Know It. That is why today's nap was essential.

Minutes before she was due to nap, she realized that she needed a lollipop, pronounced "lellipop." And not just any lellipop, oh no. She needed a purple lellipop and she needed it RIGHT NOW. Now remember, she is my fourth child and my first daughter. What did I do?

I got the kid a purple lollipop, stat.

When I checked on her half an hour later, I found her sound sleep. She clutched the purple candy near her chin, like a wilted wedding bouquet. I pulled a comforter over her and turned on the oscillating fan for white noise.

Two hours later, I heard her footsteps. She stood at the top of the stairs and called for me. "Can I come downstairs?" she hollered.

I hurried to the bottom stair, flipped on the light (because by 4:00 p.m. it's getting dark here on rainy days), and greeted her. As I climbed the stairs, she blinked and said to me, "I cannot find my lellipop."

Of course not. It was firmly stuck to the center of her black turtleneck. She cannot get any cuter or I will die of having a heart too full.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

My 13 year old onced missed his nap while we were on vacation (how does nap time remain on schedule when on is on holiday, right?) and while he was fishing with dad the next day, he fell asleep with his little pole in the water, and with a blck licorce in his mouth. We didn't realize he was asleep until the black colored drool began to roll down his chin.

I'm thinking of that R.E.M. song The End of the World now that you've mentioned it.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so adorable...:)

4:59 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

No fair, my world ended months ago!

7:36 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Ah, a woman after my own parenting philosophy: "If you're going to cave, cave immediately."

Otherwise you just build up their endurance.

9:18 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

P.S. I finally blogrolled you!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ali lost bubble gum a couple of days ago. She found it in her hair!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Krisco said...

That is too cute.

And yes, those naps are ESSENTIAL. For all involved! : )

12:30 AM  
Blogger karla said...

Yep, you got it right; that kid sounds too cute for words.

Now I'm off to get me a purple lollipop.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

awww... that is so sweet.

I remember the days of toddlers missing naps. Ugh. What a nightmare.

Of course, now I tend to get the same way if I miss MY nap.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I'm not usually so lucky. My kids seem to fall asleep with messier things....like gum. When they awaken, it's stuck in their hair or on my sheets. There isn't usually anything cute about that
;-)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

SUCKER!!!

hehe ;)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Ahhh. How sweet!

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares