Thursday, November 17, 2005

Injured While Asleep: How?

I must have slept last night with the house pressing upon my left shoulder blade (a la the Wicked Witch of the East with those natty striped stockings), because when I woke up at 7:00 a.m., I could barely roll over. I've spent my day with rigid good posture to compensate for the unrelenting pain in my shoulder and back. How does one become injured while sleeping?

And then the day marched on. I've been pushing my boys along, insisting that the complete the required number of school lessons for the week. My usual daycare babies were in attendance today and my own 3-year old was a whiner all day. I so often feel like I'm doing nothing at all, and yet, it is so exhausting.

As soon as we finished dinner (cooked by one of my 12-year olds), I went to the school science fair with my second-grader. We did a poster and experiment showing how you can make eggs rubbery. And not by cooking them too long . . . no. You soak an egg overnight in vinegar and the calcium in the egg reacts with the acid in the vinegar and forms carbon dioxide . . . and the bubbles carry off the calium until the egg is naked. It's pretty cool.

And it's a very simple experiment, which is essential to me, the Hater of Science Experiments.

At the science fair, I counted six volcanoes, powered by vinegar and baking soda. I saw an assortment of colorwheels and a few displays of carnations dyed different colors. The coolest project was a giant (four-feet across?) hot air balloon created from tissue paper and filled by a hair dryer.

My son was enamored by the Stomp Rockets similar to the ones described here. We are definitely going to make our own this summer. They are really, really cool! What cheap fun!

Now, I must go upstairs and iron pants. Some of you more enlightened feminists don't iron your husband's pants, but I am old-fashioned in some ways, plus I realize when I am up against an implacable situation. My husband is leaving in the morning to spend a week in Texas where he's going to a family wedding on Saturday, then to a family birthday party (on Thanksgiving Day).

I think I'll just stay home and take care of the kids.

3 Comments:

Blogger Toni said...

You are an incredible woman! Look at you! Homeschooling, doing day care, science fair projects, AND HAVING THE KIDS ALL WEEK BY YOURSELF!

No wonder you're exhausted come evening!

You are super mom, Mel!!!

Sending you cyber hugs! Toni

7:17 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I was reading the last few posts that I've missed and discovered that you're donw with your Christmas and Thanksgiving shopping. I havent even started with either! Lucky you. I'm so jealous!

And hey I'm with you on ironing. I also iron my kids jeans! We're Sahm's isnt that our job? lol

9:24 AM  
Blogger Gem said...

I iron my husband's pants because otherwise I'd be embarrassed to be seen with him, lol! He pulls them out of the dryer (sometimes a day later), shakes them, and says "These look OK". I'm all "Oh no they're NOT -- give me those!". I don't do the wash day/iron day thing, so usually I get up at 6:30 Sunday morning to iron them. At least he doesn't have to have dress pants during the week, he usually wears jeans to work.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares