Saturday, November 19, 2005

Don't Click Away . . .

. . . you are still at "Actual Unretouched Photo." I just decided it was time for a change.

This morning, I took my four children in my small sedan on an hour-long bundle of errands, in this order:

1) Bank;
2) Take'n'Bake pizza shop;
3) Video game store;
4) Donut shop.

Four kids in one car grate on my nerves. Why can't they just gaze out the window and ponder the universe and the meaning of life?

We were home in time for my sister and her family to stop by. They will be borrowing our old van (The Deathtrap, we like to call it) for a week while my husband's away. My sister and her husband have had a run of bad luck (oh, lasting about ten years) and their only car has broken down, possibly irretrievably.

The problem with being the working poor is that you are living so close to the edge that you have no margin for error. If your car breaks down, how can you get to work? And if you don't get to work, how can you keep your job? And if you don't keep your job, how can you pay to fix your car? And if you don't fix your car, how will you get to work? It's a vicious cycle, familiar to too many people.

So, we do what we can to help.

They were here for an hour or two and we ate pizza together. When they left, I put my 3-year old down for a nap ("I want to sleep all by myself!") and spent the remaining bit of the afternoon doing my grocery shopping online for the first time.

The evening hours have flown by in a bleary haze of html code. Time flies when you have no idea what you're doing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you helping your sister out! We've been in her shoes more than once and even though we aren't now, we know far more people who are than aren't.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

I like the template change. :)

Grocery shopping online? I'd be scared to try.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

The new look is great!

It sounds like you are a great sister. I know that my brother and I have taken turns being the ones with "bad luck", and we can always count on each other for support and encouragement.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would SO grocery shop on line, just can't afford it!! I think it's the way to go, though, when you've got so many kids who think they know what you want in your cart!!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I spent a day changing my look, then another one changing it back. :-)

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the new look!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares