Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Pajama Thanksgiving

Lately, I've heard some people pine for a Pajama Thanksgiving, one where street clothes and obligatory visits to in-laws and relatives are not required. I have a long history of untraditional Thanksgivings, though I've never spent Thanksgiving Day in my pajamas.

I have no memory of a single Thanksgiving with both of my parents in attendance. But I do vaguely remember shuttling from household to household in the post-divorce era. I also remember one particularly horrific Thanksgiving Day spent at my stepmother's sister's home. The sister had a three or four-year old son who spoke with careful, slow earnestness. This boy was a nasally, preternaturally curious, annoying kid with a penchant for big words. I was a self-conscious teenager, which is why I wished for death when he said to me (in front of God and everybody) in his loud voice, "WHY DO YOU HAVE SUCH LARGE *BREASTS?" (Okay. Maybe that's too much information, but I'm telling you, I was mortified.)

In college, once I went to Wichita, Kansas, for Thanksgiving with a friend. Her parents were out of town and the heat was off in the house. She didn't know how to get the furnace to kick on--it must have been malfunctioning--and we couldn't get a fire lighted. We froze. We ate dinner at her friends' home. I have no idea who they were. Our return trip to Springfield, Missouri, was a nightmare. What should have taken five hours took ten because the roads were covered with a shiny layer of slick ice. I thought for sure we would die.

When our twins were three and we lived far from family, we went to a buffet restaurant for Thanksgiving. I remember that day with fondness. All the wonder of a big feast with no dishes to do! And the boys ate like birds in those days and their meals were free. What's not to love?

Usually, though, I cook. I like the smell of turkey cooking. I like leftovers. I like to relax in my own home with my own family. We don't stay in our pajamas, but our attitude is pajama-like. Sit down, relax, we aren't trying to impress anyone. We have nowhere to go, nothing to do but eat and digest.

And for you skeptics, that's okay if you don't want a helping of my stuffing with sliced green olives and raisins. That just means there's more for me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

9 Comments:

Blogger Smoov said...

Are you talking about me and my yearing to stay home in my pjs and drink wine for Thanksgiving?

And raisins and green olives in your stuffing? What the fuck?

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm sure your stuffing must taste good or you wouldn't be making it, but whatever possessed you to put olives and raisins in it in the first place? Why not dill pickles and pineapple?

7:13 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Gettin a lot of heat for that stuffing, eh?

7:29 AM  
Blogger M3 said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mel!!!!

Shoot, I'd try that stuffing. I'd try any stuffing. (Once. Heh heh.) I bet it's great.

Take care and enjoy your pj-like day. :-)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess, our ancestral stuffing includes raisins, too. The Tribe puts up such an annual fuss that this year I left them out . . . now all day I've heard in outrage, "Where are the raisins?!!?"

Happy Thanksgiving, Mel

3:11 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

I only use raisins in stuffing. We don't have stuffing at Thanksgiving, though, we have cornbread dressing... and that would be just plain nasty with raisins in it!

Hey... could you use Craisins in stuffing instead of raisins? That way you'd get your cranberries out of the way at the same time.

LOL

Love your blog, Mel. :)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

We've never had a Pajama Thanksgiving either, but like you the attitude is very much that of a PJ Turkey Day.

I've always had fairly quiet Thanksgivings. We have no family here in town other than my parents, and my brother and his family. Its great. Happy Thanksgiving!

9:08 PM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

Rasins and olives in stuffing?!? Well... it must be an acquired taste...

Then again... I don't like rasins at all. but hey... if it works for you... so be it.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Hope you enjoyed your holiday, Mel. One day your children may crave that stuffing of yours with olives and raisins. Maybe they already do!

Suzanne

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares