Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Walking Before Dawn: A Public Service Announcement (Okay, I'm Bragging)

This is my second week of getting up at 5:15 a.m. to walk. My shins don't hurt anymore. Besides that, I've realized there are hidden benefits to walking before the sun even rises.

1) It's dark. No one can see exactly how scary I look. If you are embarrassed to be seen walking around town, I recommend walking in the dark.
2) By 7:00 a.m., you're finished. No bargaining with yourself all day, saying to yourself, Tonight, I will exercise. When the day ends, you can collapse without guilt.
3) You feel virtuous and can casually mention your pre-dawn walks and people will be impressed.

Those are just the benefits of walking at 5:30 a.m.--these are in addition to the well-known health benefits of walking. And if I can do it, so can you. I am not a morning person, but having a walking buddy gives me a reason to get out of bed. She is waiting for me. I have to get up and get moving. Even in the rain. Even when it's frosty out.

I just know for sure that I don't want to grow up and be my mother, who at age 62 has a handicapped parking tag on her car because she can't get around very well anymore. After all, my grandmother is turning 99 next week and I could very well have another fifty years to live.

So, in eight hours, I'll be heading for the hills--quite literally.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This non-morning person is truly impressed ... as I sit here sleepless but not in Seattle.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

That's super, Mel. Way to go!

But how the heck do you get up so early and still stay awake all day?

Suzanne

4:59 AM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

That's my problem too. If I got up at 5am I would have to go to bed around 5pm!!!

I do like the idea of walking in the dark though. Morning face sans makeup can be a pretty scary thing to take out in public in the light of day.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Way to go Mel!

I exercise in the morning, too, but am accountable only to myself, which has made it easy to slack off and not get up some days. I do find that I feel worse on the days that I don't exercise, and end up thinking I should have just dragged myself out of bed and done it anyway.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I can't imagine moving before the sun is up. I just can't do it...

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares