Sunday, February 20, 2005

Rain in Tahiti

Today, when I clicked on my new obsession, a live picture of Papeete, Tahiti, I felt a little gleeful when I saw cloudy skies and rain in the tropical paradise.

My daughter woke up at 5:18 a.m. this morning which made me very unhappy. I said to her, "IT IS NOT MORNING!" in a perturbed, non-nurturing loud voice. I rocked her for a while and then she insisted on going downstairs, so downstairs we went, me stomping down every step, realizing that my sockless toes would be cold. I didn't turn on a single light, but plopped into the recliner. She was still and heavy against me, breath in slow rhythm, but when I took her back upstairs to return her to her crib, she began to cry, so back downstairs I stomped.

I dozed off and on, so I feel whiny complaining about my lack of sleep, but still. I went back to bed at 8:00 a.m. for forty-five minutes, then rushed like a lunatic to get us to church on time.

After church, three kids came over to play--the boys are having a sleep-over with their twin friends, and their sister needed a place to stay for a couple of hours while her parents were in meetings. When my husband returned home at 2:30 p.m., Babygirl hadn't napped yet because I couldn't very well lay down with her and leave six kids unsupervised in my house. I'd been waiting for him, but by then, Babygirl was having so much fun playing with The Girl (as she called the fifth grade girl), that I didn't have the heart to force her to nap.

And then it was too late, so I struggled to keep her awake until 7:00 p.m. I hope she returns to her regularly scheduled sleeping habits immediately.

On a positive note, I managed to get the downstairs area of my house clean today--vacuuming, mopping, everything. On the other hand, my mood today reminded my husband of his favorite joke:

"Do you wake up grumpy in the morning?"
"No, I usually let her sleep in."

Ha ha ha ha. Yeah, real funny.

And now, back to my transcription. I just hope my daughter sleeps until 7:00 a.m. tomorrow . . . although, on the other hand, if she doesn't, my husband has the day off and it will finally be his turn to get up before dawn with her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cuppa said...

Good Morning Mel
Thanks for stopping by last night and posting the nice comment on my blog.

I hope your day flows smoothly and your fingers fly over the keys without bleeding and cracking.

Take care.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

And from what I understand, this will actually never pass...sorta...Once she's a little older, she'll wake up from a nightmare. Then later you'll wake up when she finally comes sneaking in at four in the morning...Then once she's gone (moved away), you'll wake yourself up at night worrying about her when she calls and says she's having problems! Isn't it exciting! That's what I love about having kids!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

My baby moved out two weeks ago.

He is back with a badly sprained ankle.

Really. They keep coming back.

The empty nest is just a myth.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Regularly scheduled sleeping habits? I am totally and completely unfamiliar with those. Well, I guess if your little one returns to them, and I read about it, then I will know a little....

7:32 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

Tahiti! You brought back memories of when I landed there in 1987 in January and I was overcome with the intense humidity after the longest flight of my life. I was 18, alone and traveling to Australia. It was a trip of a lifetime. The memories!!

Hope you get some sleep soon!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares