Thursday, February 17, 2005

On Being A Good Enough Mother

In this month's Newsweek, Anna Quindlen writes about The Good Enough Mother. I have always admired her writing and now, I like her even more. I love to hear a mother admit that she skipped all the seemingly mandatory kids' sports leagues and after-school activities because she'd rather stay at home and read. I love to hear another mother mention that she hates to play board games. I, for one, refuse to enter the "Perfect Mother Pageant," even though I hear it involves a really cool tiara.

3 Comments:

Blogger Toni said...

Love your entry!!!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to be a perfect mom. I just want to be a good mom. So how do I do that? I guess that's a question each of us have to answer for ourselves. I think it has more to do with the values we pass down by demonstration, and building a relationship with our kids, not how many activities we involve them and ourselves in, and by investing a little time into ourselves too. To me that teaches them a bit of independance. I think I'll shut up before I hi-jack this thread.

I love this post!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

I think the women in the U.S. are putting so much pressure on themselves to be SuperMOM today that it is insane. Society adds to it.

It's like if you don't play kids games, attend every sporting event and talk-kid lingo 24/7 -- your defective.

Damn! Women are women and should be allowed to be women. A mother is only a portion of who she is...

It's starting to change though...slowly.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares