Friday, February 11, 2005

Sunshine and the Voice in My Head

The whole world looks better when the sun shines. Except for my living room windows, which are in dire need of Windex. And my face, which is in dire need of cosmetics. But other than that, sun cheers me up.

And tonight, as the sun went down, I clenched my jaw at the dirty carpet and the scattered Legos and the dirty dishes and then, instead of beginning a lecture to my boys which starts, "How can you stand this disgusting mess?" I heard a smart, little voice in my head say, Hey, everyone is happy! Look! Babygirl is painting! YoungestBoy has a table full of Lego rockets he created. The twins are all cudddled on the couch. The only person bothered by this mess is you. So I said to myself, Self, relax! You're doing fine. Your kids had a great day--see those Valentine's made with glitter glue covering the kitchen table? The kids are fine. Your children are having a happy childhood. The floors will wash and later, you are going to a movie, so take a deep breathe.

I love it when the voice in my head is so wise.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish your voice would come visit my head every once in a while! Very very wise indeed!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bravo mel.
The kids will remember the fun they had. not the mess. My girls are grown up now. And one of my daughters told me one of her happiest memories is the hid and seek we played in the dark.
Four daughters, myself, and, hubby.we would turn all the lights off in the house. And play hid and go seek in the dark. The only rule was no going outside. What fun we had playing that.
I remember one time hubby could not find the youngest daughter. he began to panic. We found her curled up in the cat bed with a blanket over her. she had fallen asleep.
thanks mel i love reading your blogg. sorry about the spelling mistakes.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Yes, wise words indeed.

I have an empty nest now, and the mess is gone, but the sweet memories of glitter glue on the floor and happy faces of kids up to their ears in some project or other only brighten my days when I look back on them now. So hunny, let the sun shine in and enjoy whatever it reveals. Dust and all!

6:58 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I believe this must be the definition of zen.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares