Sunday, February 06, 2005

My Apologies for Being Dull

Thank you, everyone, for the comments about my previous post. Some of you shared pictures of snowflakes and additional insight. Some of you emailed. I am thrilled that my words resonate with some of you.

Tonight, however, is just going to be boring, personal journal stuff. So feel free to click away.

My son just came out of his room (it's almost 11 p.m.) and said, "First of all, mom," as if we were about to have a full-fledged conversation. He and his brother are outraged--OUTRAGED--that I have instituted a charge for picking up clothes off their floor. Twenty-five cents an item. So, far, in two days, I've picked up twenty-five items. They are also alarmed that I have yet to pay them their $10 allowance for this two-week period. I am so cruel.

I told him, "Go to bed. I'm not discussing anything with you tonight. Go to bed."

Do they not realize I am Off-Duty at 9 p.m.? No exceptions?

We watched the Superbowl today as a family. Well, I baked cookies, then folded laundry, then helped Babygirl get on her boots so she could go and stand in the muddy backyard and look at worms gasping for oxygen while rain fell on her head. She danced on the couch during half-time, making us all laugh. She swings her arms around and bops to the beat. Funny kid.

Early today, during church, Babygirl and I wandered into my husband's office while he was preaching. She ate chocolate kisses out of his candy bowl on his desk, then asked me to push the button on his Billy Bass. She likes to dance to it, but when she pushes the button herself and the fish begins to flop and sing, it scares her. So I handled the button and she danced. Trust me, it was amusing.

I whirled through my house yesterday cleaning, vacuuming, changing sheets, decluttering, picking up . . . and then went shopping all afternoon alone. I have never seen so many pregnant women in one place as I did at Wal-Mart yesterday. I never shop at Wal-Mart because the nearest one is not very near, but I had gift cards to use. Besides pregnant women, the store seemed to be teeming with mother/daughter teams on weekly outings--and when I say "mother" I mean old, slow-moving women and when I say "daughter", I mean slightly less old, slow-moving women. I was in a hurry, what can I say? So much shopping to do, so little time.

Later, at Marshall's (I love that store) I bought three coats for my boys for next year for a grand total of $30.00. Now that is a bargain!

The sad thing is, when I returned home last night, my house showed no signs of my cleaning spree, other than my clean, flannel sheets on my neatly made bed and the de-mildewed shower. My husband said, "What do you expect? You have a family of six!"

What I really want to know is: Where is my Alice? (Of Brady Bunch fame.)

Finally, I must say that although I am enjoying reading The Shipping News by Annie Proulx, I cannot get over her constant use of sentence fragments. For instance, she'll write, ""Fingers ochre from chain-smoking." Or "The candle on its side." Or "Warren gliding away." Each fragment stops me cold. Maybe that's her point? Anyway, I tried to read this book about fifteen years ago, but got bogged down. I saw the movie a few years back, so ventured another time into the pages. It won a Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award and it makes me want to travel to Newfoundland.

And now, it's officially so late that I will want to destroy my alarm clock when it rings in the morning.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Narcissist said...

Hi Mel, I just wanted to say that I enjoy the "boring," personal journal stuff. I lover reading about your adorable little daughter and all that. Just thought I'd say so.

-Rebecca

9:00 AM  
Blogger cackmandu said...

Just dropping you a line since you had dropped by mine..thanks!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love posts like this. I want an Alice too man! Where do you find them at... or are they out of production like the Brady Bunch?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Dull? I don't think so.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares