Tuesday, January 25, 2005

"I Want to Be Cold"

And now, a picture-story of my daughter. Run along if you're looking for something awe-inspiring.

Every morning, Babygirl wants to get dressed immediately, unlike my boys who would spend all day in their pajamas if they could. As recently as last summer, YoungestBoy would wear his zipper footy pajamas all day, even outside in the sunshine. On Saturdays, I tell them several times to get dressed, please!

But not the girl. She wants clothes and she wants them right away. She chooses which pants or dress she'll wear and clutches them to herself while I carry her downstairs. Then, I help her get dressed, head to toe, shirt, pants, underpants and socks.

Usually, an hour later, the socks come off.

Today, two hours later, while "washing dishes" at the kitchen sink, she pulled off her wet shirt.

An hour later, she took off her pants after she spilled water on her lap during lunch.

Shortly after that, she said, "I want to be cold." Then suddenly, there she was, in her birthday suit, watching Sesame Street.

I convinced her to wear underpants and purple pants to bed where she napped, but when she woke up, she ditched the pants.

Then, she peeled off the flowered underpants and carried them over to her play ironing board, where she carefully pressed them using the steam setting on her play iron. Then, she allowed me to help her step back into the underpants.

But by the time my husband came home for dinner, she was nekkid again and no amount of cajoling could convince her to get dressed.

Apparently, among the youngest set, it is no longer fashionable to dress for dinner, if you know what I mean.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Narcissist said...

She sounds like my little sister was years ago, only she "wanted to be cold" in Alaska, which was a little hard for my parents to condone for the small reason that it was -60 F outside. Silly children.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Hmmmm...I want to be cold too. But, not THAT cold.

I was still dressing my oldest when he was in the first grade. The two younger ones would appear on their own, fully clothed in nicely matching outfits, while I'm saying 'am I going to have to come to your house after you are married and get you dressed!?'

So far, I haven't had to.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

I giggled at your post. I have 2 boys ages 7 &10. They could care less about clothes. My 7 year old tried to go to school today without underwear on!

They both love to hang out in their undies. Hmmm. It's really time to buy them new robes.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Awwww, ya mean you can't come up with awe-inspiring in every entry? C'mon now! ;)

9:16 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Hi Mel--

Babygirl cracks me up. But that's not why I'm commenting--I just came across this blog and thought you might like it:
http://www.renegaderebbetzin.blogspot.com

The author is an Orthodox rebbetzin (Rabbi's wife) who writes about her frustrations w/her husband's congregation, assumptions about her, etc. Her voice reminded me of yours somehow (aside from the clergy's wife thing) and I thought you might be interested.

I hope this isn't wildly inappropriate or annoying (i.e. "You're from New York?! My cousin's best friend lives in New York! Maybe you know her!"); I was going to e-mail you instead of leaving a comment but couldn't find an address.

Anyway-- an early happy 40th!

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares