Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Drat and Double Drat

I spent my free free-time today crafting a post which Blogger then gobbled without so much as an apology.

I hate that. And now time will speed up. I'll wake DaycareKid and start dinner and clean up lunch dishes and do more laundry. DaycareKid's mom (or dad?) will pick him up and then we'll eat dinner and bathtime will start and before you know it, I'll be in bed, eyes propped open so I can channel surf between David Letterman and Jay Leno, even while I regret being awake so late.

I mentioned in my Blogger-eaten post that hell must have also frozen over yesterday when temperatures dipped to negative fifty-four degrees in Embarrass, Minnesota. I know this because my daughter went to sleep at naptime by herself. She simply climbed into her brother's bed (where DaycareKid naps) and went to sleep--even before DaycareKid did. Normally, I lay down with her while she wriggles herself to sleep. So, I had extra free-time, but had to supervise a science experiment before I ate my lunch and lunged for the computer to fill my blog silence with a summary of the weekend.

So, now that my summary is gone, let me just say this:

Saturday: Freezing rain, no driving to the birthday party.

Sunday: Annual church business meeting, which did not end in a drunken brawl and 911 call as I feared. The budget passed after some intense discussion, but no one threw a punch, overturned a table or threw up on the pastor's shoes. Not that anything like that would happen in a room full of Christian grown-ups, but one must be prepared for the worst. Well, one like me must be prepared for the worst.

Monday: Holiday! Babygirl woke up and I plopped her in front of the television with dry Cheerios and went back to bed, where I luxuriated between my flannel sheets, not caring one bit that my nomination for Mother of the Year would surely be rescinded when They heard about my return to bed. What bliss to listen to the rain while dozing.

Now, we're back to reality. TwinBoyB spent two and a half hours trying to get around writing out his math problems, going so far as to throw down his book and declare, "I AM QUITTING SCHOOL!" and "YOU ARE THE WORST TEACHER EVER!" I calmly dialed the phone (my own cell phone number, but don't tell him) and said into the received, "Hello? I'd like to speak to someone about enrolling my son in school." He high-tailed it back to the table where he finally finished his work. Outwit, outlast, outplay, that's my job.

And now, time to jump into the time warp that is speeding directly for bedtime.

(Blogger, if you eat this post, we are going to Have Words. Don't test my patience.)

4 Comments:

Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Blogger is strange, because somehow it triplicated a post I did earlier today! So, if it makes you feel better, you can blame your gobbled post on me. ;)

6:10 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Oh Mel, I feel your pain! I'm TRYING to update my dull little blog, and I lost THREE posts today. I am SO mad. I've given up for now.

My 'homeschool' kid and his lovely wife are studying in Oxford now. He is reading in classical Greek. While trying to teach him Spanish, he never got farther than "The King and Queen are crying in the bathroom". He is editing a book for his internship, and is co-authoring another. Don't tell your son this, but we hardly did ANY math at all.

I say this not to brag (okay...i'm lying a little bit here) but to remind you that they do grow up and surprise the heck out of you.

But, for most of the time that I homeschooled, I was SURE that he was going to grow up to be a bum. And, it would be ALL MY FAULT. The way I looked at it, if he failed, it would be all my fault. So by the same token, if he succeeded it would be all because of me!!! (he begs to differ)

6:46 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Considering its price, Blogger is a wonderful service, but it certainly has its hiccups (or hiccoughs as some prefer). For example, it took me three tries to get into this comment. I suspect it's partly because mt dialup here is exceptionally slow.

You could try composing in Notepad or a word processor and then cutting and pasting it into Blogger. If not, go to the trouble of "Save as Draft" periodically. I know it's a pain, but ...

It's easy to dispense advice, but I just lost an 80 meg Photoshop file the other day. Much work just evaporated before my eyes. I should know better and save my work as a I go, but, alas, I forget.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Maybe you were losing your post at the same time as your blog wouldn't let me comment yesterday. I was trying to comment on the snake picture, and wasn't able to...I did get that done today...
I wrote a really long entry in mine today, and it was my worst fear that it would be lost...it didn't happen this time...I hate it soooo much when it does!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares