Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Listless

If I were a boat, I'd be a sailboat in the doldrums. I'd be floating in a calm sea of fog, dry land out of sight, sun veiled behind gauzy clouds, carrying only stale granola bars and tepid drinking water.

If I were a ball, I'd be tethered to a pole cemented into an old tire. No one would even come by to smack me and watch me bump into the pole. No quick games of volleyball for me. Just dangling listlessly.

If I were a tree, I'd be a white birch, my branches extended while all my leaves dead and gone. No shade under me, no shelter from storms, just immobile, helpless to keep dogs from peeing on my trunk. I can't even scratch my nose.

I've been casting about, trying to come up with a flash of brilliance or a chin-stroking, eye-squinting, thought-inspiring topic, but I am listless. Both listless in the classic, dictionary-defined sense of the word and listless as in devoid of lists. I ought to make a list or two and check it twice. I need to get a pulse--stat!--before the Good Housekeeping Police come and carry me away in a body bag.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do read your blog... honest I do, I've just been really bad about commenting. I'm a stingy commenter lately. Anyway, listlessness seems to go with being a mom... what to do?

3:55 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Forget brilliant. You're metaphors for lack of same are ... well ... brilliant.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Posts like this are what keep me coming back. :)
Awesome.

Suzanne

4:48 PM  
Blogger Brandie said...

Only you could make having nothing to write about sound so good!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Lovely post... I'll try to keep the dogs from peeing on you! :)

9:51 PM  
Blogger The Narcissist said...

Golly do I know how you feel...

11:10 PM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

That is precisely just how I feel. Thanks for saying it so well.

8:11 AM  
Blogger ilovecheese said...

oh my goodness!!i haven't read anything as good as your blog yet..
you are just a really great writer and yr "chronicles" make such interesting reading!
i've been reading portions of yr previous posts and i've been rivetted to yr blogs for more than 3 hours..
babygirl's so precious..
i read one of yr posts where you say you felt so lonely (since you left yr board) and i felt i could relate to that..i'm 23 and i know i have no real friends and feel so lonely (sometimes thats not a bad thing) and i felt u needed a {{{{BIG HUG}}}} right then..so here goes!{{{{{{{{MEL}}}}}}}}}
you've given me a new reason to be online!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares