Saturday, December 25, 2004

Narcolepsy (or the Post-Christmas Doze)

My husband said from the comfort of the recliner, "I feel like when you're coming out of anesthesia, and you can't quite wake up. . . " That's how we are, today, my husband and me. Wherever we land, we doze. I have an uncle who suffers from narcolepsy, and today, I feel greater sympathy for him than ever.

My mom didn't sleep at all last night. She always waits until the last minute, then drags through each holiday in a stupor.

Last night, I made it to bed at 1:00 a.m. At 1:30 a.m., I heard a slamming door and my husband said, "Is that the kids?" and I went downstairs to deliver a stern warning about staying in bed. TwinBoyB couldn't sleep, had a bad dream, didn't know what to do with himself. I said, "I don't care if you sleep at all. Just don't get out of that bed!"

I told them all last night that they were not allowed out of their rooms before 7:00 a.m. At 7:00 a.m., I heard them spring out of their rooms. They unloaded their stockings and I headed for the shower.

By 9:00 a.m., I had a coffee cake baking in the oven and we started opening gifts. By 9:30 a.m., it was all over but the clean-up. My mom arrived at 10:00 a.m. for brunch--which we didn't eat until an hour later. Babygirl was absolutely entertaining and happy--she ran, literally, back and forth, laughing her sweet head off.

The twins looked very teenage-like today. They received personal CD players and all day long, they've either had headphones on, listening to music, or headphones attached to their new GameBoys.

When I put Babygirl to sleep on my bed, I fell asleep, too, though I tried to rouse myself to get the ever important "Time to Myself." Alas, it was not to be, and as the day wore on, I grew more and more impatient with everyone. I need solitude, even on busy holidays. By the time Babygirl and I went to her room tonight for the bedtime routine, I was drowsy and crabby.

When we turned on the television (she usually watches a video before bed), a Lawrence Welk Christmas special was on, featuring old clips from decades gone by. Babygirl sat mesmerized, watching kids with wacky haircuts and 1970s fashions. I was utterly amused by a 14-year old girl who rolled her eyes when she was introduced by her dad. She marched over to the piano and plunked out her part of the family song.

Then, Babygirl watched Barney while I kept falling unconscious in the gliding rocker. When I finally left the room and entered my own room, I saw my husband, stretched out diagonally on the bed, face down. If I didn't know better, I might have checked him for a pulse.

We are wiped out. And tomorrow, he has to preach again because it's Sunday. I'm pretty much churched-out, but we'll be there, right in the front row. You'll recognize me by the Babygirl on my lap. She'll have one finger stuck deep into her right nostril. And I'll have circles under my eyes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I hope you find some good rest in your future, mama.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

Happy Holidays, Melody! I really enjoy your blog!

We were super tired yesterday too. I think it is all the prep that makes Christmas a let down. We celebrate x-mas eve -- and every year we postpone our Prime Rib Christmas dinner until the 26th (today) because we are all celebrated out. We napped yesterday, lounged and turned into veggies -- and we don't even have kids. It's just in the air, I think!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Melodee, happy holidays to you and yours.

I wish for you plenty of "Time to Yourself"... more even than I wish for some for myself. If I have any to spare, I'll send it your way!

Suzanne

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares