Thursday, December 23, 2004

Final, Last-Minute Shopping (Ha ha ha)

This morning I did not have to get up and be ready by 7:15 a.m. because my DaycareKid's mom has the day off. When my husband nudged me at 7:18 a.m. and asked if I wanted to shower before Babygirl awoke, I mumbled, "No." And that's how I ended up half-asleep in bed until 8:15 a.m. when Babygirl called out.

When I got her up, I decided I'd take the kids and do the grocery store run I didn't manage last night because the movie I saw ("Ray") went on and on and on and on and by then the grocery store was closed.

By 10:30 a.m., I was finally showered and ready. Babygirl was dressed with her jacket and shoes on and the phone rang. While I was on the phone, cutting out a coupon for ham, Babygirl came running through the kitchen saying, "I NEED TO PEE!" I could see that she already had peed, judging from the looks of her pants. She rarely has accidents, but when a mom is trying go move the troops out the door, these things happen.

By the time I finished my phone call, changed her clothes, folded a load of laundry, put laundry into the dryer, and fed and watered the cats, it was 11:00 a.m. So much for my quick, first-thing-in-the-morning grocery run. I'd also decided we should buy the twins new shoes since their old shoes are so raggedy.

First, the bank.
Second, the shoe store. We discovered the boys are now wearing men's shoes, not boys' shoes. We end up with more expensive shoes than I had hoped for--my boys shoes cost more than I'd ever spend on my own shoes. The experience frustrated me because all the kids kept wandering away from me while I contemplated sizes and prices. Then a helpful sales associate came to help, but freaked out Babygirl (she is generally afraid of people), so then I had to hold Babygirl as I circled the shelves full of shoes. When we left, Babygirl insisted on carrying the bag, which was too heavy for her to lift, so she cried.

She cried the "I need a nap very soon" cry and I aborted my attempt to grocery shop with four children. Instead, we went to a drive-thru and got lunch and came home.

So, I still have some final shopping to do tonight, right after the Christmas pageant practice.

As I sat here typing, YoungestBoy strolled by and said, "Hey, Mom." I said, "Yes?" He said, "I found a dime in my underpants." I said, "You did, huh?" He said, "Yes, and now it smells like my butt."

I never ever thought I'd tell a child to go wash a dime with soap, but I did.

Having kids is nothing like I imagined. Now you know why your mother told you to never put coins in your mouth.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Hmm. How does YoungestBoy know how his butt smells? Strike that. Some questions are better left unanswered.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares