Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Do You Hear What I Hear?

When the toddlers woke from their naps, we went for a walk around the block. We did not wear jackets, except for DaycareKid who cried for his coat. He was bundled up completely, zippered and snapped into his heavy coat. But the sun shone brightly, the sky was the exact shade of the Crayola sky-blue crayon and the air was filled with the humming of lawn mowers. We passed a gray-haired man sitting near a flowerbed, digging in the dirt. He called out "Spring fever!" A few houses down, a woman was hacking at random weeds which had sprouted through her rocks. Her yard used to be filled with gnomes, but suddenly, it's gnome-free. Babygirl stood at the edge of the yard and said, "Oh no! It's all gone!" Then she stole a rock.

After two laps, we returned home, had a snack and then went into the back yard. Babygirl and DaycareKid played while I snipped old shasta daisy stalks and cut ivy and dug dandelions out of the cold soil. I filled our four-feet tall yard waste bucket with compostable debris. I tried to stop TwinBoyB from smashing three crocuses, but he strode through the flowerbed without noticing my stuttered "Hey, hey, hey!" The kids really have no horticultural respect.

Then, he said, "Hey, I smell gasoline," and perhaps that's the surest sign of spring--fuel for lawn mowers mingled with the odor of decaying leaves and wet dirt. Add the unidentified flying bugs that insisted on hovering over Babygirl's blond head and the slick, shiny slug-tracks and you have spring in the Pacific Northwest.

9 Comments:

Blogger Smoov said...

How the hell can it be spring? It is February 2nd!!!!!! It's cold and raining here =(

4:41 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

You're just getting a sneak preview - winter's not over for you yet! When I read your post, memories from living in Washington flooded my mind. It's so beautiful there. I lived in Poulsbo and Silverdale for highschool. Went to North Kitsap.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Whaah! I want me some of that...slug tracks and all. That miserable rodent saw his shadow yesterday and we've gone from nearly 50 degrees yesterday to a mix of freezing rain and snow flurries this morning.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Spring??! Good gracious! It's the dead of winter around here. I arrived here via "Raindrops." Great blog. You have a talent for writing, and for time management, with young kids at home. I'll pop by again soon.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I hope I get up to the Pacific Northwest someday. It's not like I am in the dead of winter here at all...but still...

8:19 AM  
Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

ohhhh, I'm so jealous!! It sounds so lovely and heavenly. Spring is my favorite season simply because I know it will only get more and more lovely!

Enjoy the flowers for me :)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Brandie said...

No fair!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Gee, and to think I was happy that the temps here have been hovering around 30 this weeks instead of down around 10!

5:08 PM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

My jaw dropped while reading your post. Where are you that it is spring already? I'm surrounded by two feet of white stuff, and won't hear a lawn mower for at least three months. I'm jealous.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares