Thursday, January 27, 2005

It's Official in Wisconsin, Anyway

Posted by Hello


I was born forty years ago in Wisconsin. My brother was just sixteen months old at the time.

My mother, who was almost twenty-two when I was born, explains that my dad dropped her off at the hospital, intending to come back after he turned on the radio station where he worked at the time. When he telephoned the hospital later, he was told he had a daughter.

That's pretty much all I know. My parents had another child sixteen months later, and I grew up as the Middle Child, and we all know what that means. None of the privileges of being the oldest, none of the coddling heaped upon the youngest. I was Mother's Helper, eager to be useful and good and responsible, probably trying to make up for being neglected as the middle child.

I was also bald for a good portion of my toddlerhood.

And how will I celebrate my induction into middle age? Here are my exciting plans for my birthday:

8:00 a.m.: Greet DaycareKid.
8:45 a.m.: Send off YoungestBoy to school.
9:00 a.m.: Start school with boys. Spelling and music.
9:15 a.m.: Wonder why maid hasn't arrived to scrub floor and clean bathrooms.
9:17 a.m.: Remember we have no maid.
9:45 a.m.: Take care of two month old baby for one-hour.
12:20 a.m.: Welcome YoungestBoy home from school (early dismissal).
1:00 p.m.: Leave children in care of husband and get driver's license.
3:00 p.m.: Try to convince Babygirl to keep her clothes on.
3:30 p.m.: Get plastic surgery to fix eyelids.
4:00 p.m.: Find babysitter for Friday and Saturday nights.
4:30 p.m.: Send DaycareKid home with his mom.
5:00 p.m.: Bake pizza and eat pizza and cake for dinner.
9:00 p.m.: Inform husband I'm going to see "Sideways" with or without him.

Yes. As you can see, I'm a party animal. Maybe when I turn fifty, I'll get fireworks.

(My grown-up birthday dinner will be Saturday night, after I get my hair cut on Saturday morning. I insisted.)

So, don your party hats! Get out your noise-maker! Blow out forty candles! Eat cake and sing out loud! Celebrate my birthday! (Just don't tell anyone here because I'd die from embarrassment if anyone made an actual fuss in real life or if the waiters in the restaurant actually drew attention to my saggy eyelidded face.) In the meantime, if you see me (look! I finally posted a current picture below), please wish me happy birthday and slip me a twenty-dollar bill.

Posted by Hello


Signed,
The Birthday Girl

15 Comments:

Blogger Motherhood for the Weak said...

Happy Birthday Mel! Have a great day!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Happy happy, Mel. :)
Welcome to adulthood (or something close to it!).

Suzanne

5:48 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Happy 40th Birthday!

My wish is that you will be blessed all day by the happy smiling faces of your loving family!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Happy Birthday, Melodee!
Have a great day...
There will be cake crumbs on my keyboard, that's for sure!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Saramnou said...

Delurking ~ To say Happy Birthday!
Thanks for keeping me entertained with your life as a Mother,Wife and Domestic engineer. I stop by every once in a while, for there are very few other blogs out there that are written as well. I hope the next 40 are just as blessed.
Sara (formley Sierea from Sep 02 board)

6:43 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Happy happy birthday to you!!!! It's not so bad... is it? I'll be 40 this June.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Happy Birthday Melodee!!!!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Happy 40th Birthday Melodee! Go buck wild girl! Get a pedicure tomorrow too! Remember, even if everything else is going south your toes are already there and will never sag! Have a great day!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday, dear Mel!
Happy Birthday to You!

*jazz hands* And many more! *jazz hands*

10:54 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Happy Birthday, Mel. You give us more during the year than we could ever give you on your birthday. Still, I wish it could be more than just "Happy Birthday". May you greow more and more in God's grace in your 41st year.

12:44 PM  
Blogger The Narcissist said...

What Beth said times two. *Big, proud grin*

Bon Anniversaire a tu, mon amie!

I hope it is the best...just one question...won't your eyes be swollen shut from the surgery, thus disabling you from actually SEEING sideways with or without your handsome hubs? hehe

Have fun in whatever you do...and I still think you should lobby for a b-day weekend.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Happy 40th, Mel! I thought 40 was a great year. When you're 40 you are taken seriously, but you're allowed to be silly. Wear something sparkly and have fun!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Ociferswife said...

Happy Birthday Melodee! I really hope you have a great one!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Happy Birthday!! :) I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing day tomorrow!

9:21 PM  
Blogger ilovecheese said...

HAPPY B'DAY!! belated tho..
it dont matter which Bday it is..its time to celebrate!!
you look absolutely adorable in that sepia toned photo..so cute!!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares