Monday, February 14, 2005

Nothing Says Love Like Chocolate. And Tulips.

My husband's day off is today. And he's sick with yet another cold. He showered early, went to work to prepare for the wedding he conducted today, then went to the dedication ceremony (and luncheon) for the local Rescue Mission. Then he stopped by our house while I was grimacing as I corrected the boys' math assessments to bring me a red vase of purple and red tulips.

I, being the gracious type, said, "Hey! You broke the rules!"

Fortunately, I had a Valetine's Day card stashed away because even though we always agree to not celebrate Valentine's Day in any way, he always does anyway. I heart my husband.

The boys made their first-ever cake today from a mix. I showed them two boxes and said, "What kind do you want to make? This is plain yellow cake, like vanilla, and this is chocolate." TwinBoyA said, "Chocolate!" And I said, "Chocolate? Even though it's Valentine's Day?" And he said, "Yes! Nothing says I love you like chocolate."

I guess I was worried about my shortcomings as a mother for nothing. I've taught him the most important thing: Nothing says I love you like chocolate.

Two nights ago, I finished reading The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Now I'm at a loss. What to read next? I have literally an entire six-foot bookshelf of unread books, but how can I choose? I think that I might read The Perfect Storm, since my brain is already hanging out in the Atlantic Ocean, smelling the reek of fish carcasses and feeling the sting of salt water.

When I'm between books, I feel suddenly unlashed from reality, which is completely the opposite of reality, isn't it? I reluctantly close the back cover of a book and flip closed my book light and look around at my regular life, my kids, my husband watching Fox News, the folded laundry ready to be put away, the dirty clothes tangled on the bathroom floor near a trail of wet footpuddles and I think, what? How'd I get here? Just one second ago I was in Newfoundland and it was winter. Where did Quoyle and Wavey go?

If I wait too long and don't jump into the pages of another book immediately, I might find myself drifting for weeks, bobbing along on a pathetic sea of the newspaper and The Reader's Digest . . . I need to dive deep, to submerge into the world of books. Otherwise, little pieces of my brain break off like chunks of driftwood and float away. I'm not kidding.

(By the way, last night, I noticed a rather goopy wet spot on the kitchen floor near the fridge. I sopped it up, sniffed it, looked for the source. I followed the slime trail back up to the top of the fridge and shuddered for a second, imagining all kinds of rotted stuff up there. Have I mentioned that I am not Martha Stewart? Anyway, it turned out to be, well, a leaking "brain." Guess that zip-lock bag wasn't sealed very well.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Brandie said...

Hope your dh feels better soon! The flowers sound lovely, and your boys are extremely smart to already learn about chocolate ;-)
Happy Hearts Day!

8:45 PM  
Blogger The Narcissist said...

Hi, Mel...so sweet of him to bring you tulips. I love tulips...so much more thoughtful than the old red rose standby...gotta love brain leaking all over the kitchen :)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Hope your dh is feeling better soon. Mine is finally getting over his cold.

I thought The Perfect Storm was a really good book....a little slow in the beginning, but once it got going, it was really good. There were a couple of times that I even had to remind myself that it was a true story!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares