Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Kids at the Movies and Miscellany

I should be shot. Tonight, I was at "Million Dollar Baby," smug as a bug in a rug, lasering snotty thoughts down to the front row where two pre-teen girls kept talking and walking and walking and talking and then: HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! began to chorus from beneath my feet. My cell phone was ringing! In a movie theater! During a movie!

In my defense, I thought I had turned it off. I pushed the button. I thought it said Good-Bye! and everything, but alas, I didn't hold the button down long enough. I believe this was Movie Karma, fall-out from my critical thoughts last night.

Nah. Not really. It was a mistake--clearly, obviously, vastly different from shaking a popcorn bucket for fifteen minutes and caressing a candy wrapper for ten like Loud Snacker did last night. Ten thousand times different from taking a child to an inappropriate movie or shining a laser at the screen or talking out loud during the presentation.

I've now seen four of the five pictures nominated for the "Best Picture" Oscar. I'm not sure I'll see "The Aviator," because I'm just not that interested in seeing Leonardo DeCaprio act for three whole hours.

Now I must go to bed because yesterday, I mentioned to my former walking buddy that I'd been meaning to ask if she'd like to resume morning walks. I said, "But the only thing is, we'd have to walk at 5:30 a.m. because I have to be home by 6:45 a.m." She agreed. Before we could change our minds, we decided to start this morning.

This morning, while I drove to her house bundled in leggings, exercise pants, two shirts, a fleece jacket, gloves and a headband to cover my ears, I thought, "What have I done?" Do you know the moon still glows in the sky at 5:30 a.m.? Granted, it was quite lovely to see it shimmer across the Puget Sound, but still. The sun didn't begin to light up the sky until we were almost finished walking. When I got back into my car, I had to clear the windshield of frost!

(As I recall, when we walked a couple of years back, the sun normally rises between 6:00 and 7:00 a.m. in the summertime.)

The walk itself felt pretty good, even though we end our four mile course with several steep hills. We'd been talking about careers and she'd mentioned how she took a twenty-five percent decrease in her salary last year, losing $20,000, which was unfortunate, she said, but she stashed a lot into her 401K and retirement accounts, so it wasn't so bad. She wants to retired before she's 55 (she's my age, almost) and I said, "That's about the time I'll be starting my career!" And then we started up a hill and I said, "Unless, of course, I die of a heart attack right now!"

That's me. Always looking on the bright side.

But wow. Her income is the secondary income in their family. I can't really imagine life without worrying about money constantly.

Anyway, so I have to go to bed because I thought walking before dawn every morning was a great idea. We'll get in shape! We'll chat! We'll have more energy!

Oh, but one more thing.

My son, TwinBoyB, still has a touch of a stomach virus. Today, he burst into the family room and shouted, "MOM! My poop is WHITE!" I thanked him for the information. A while later, he came into the room, dramatically groaning and clutching his stomach. "MOM! I think I'm going to die!" I told him I'd miss him. Then, a while later he staggered into the kitchen and said, "I need to speak to a doctor!"

I laughed so hard he asked me rather politely to stop. But, oh! The drama!

He made a miraculous recovery once his three history lessons were finished. History brings healing! Just ask my boy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

you are so funny!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

He didn't ask you to come look at his white poop? My dramatic son would have... lol.

I have to close my eyes, put my fingers in my ears and sing "la la la la I can't hear you" when you talk about walking at 5:30 in the morning. That time of day does not exist in my world and I refuse to acknowledge the possibility.

But hey, it's cool you're taking care of yourself. Enjoy that moon and those hills and fresh air and chatting. :)

Suzanne

7:12 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Oh my word. How can you get up that early and still function. And walk 4 miles? You're wonder woman!

1:43 PM  
Blogger ilovecheese said...

Hats off to you Mel..
thou art really Braveheart to awake and walk 4 miles at the unearthly hour of 5!!
That surely qualifies as superwoman quality to me! :)
Thanks 4 your comments, they made my day! I love to read your blogs..
wait everyday to see what did Babygirl do tody??lol
Hope TwinboyB recovers..
Take care!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares