Friday, February 25, 2005

Birthday Madness

My son's birthday is tomorrow. He's turning 7. He's been sick since Wednesday afternoon, but seems to feel better.

He invited nineteen of his closest friends to party with him. Here. At our house. In the house where I take care of two daycare kids, my own four kids and often, the neighbors. In the house where I school at home my twins. In the house where everything seems dusty.

I've cleaned tonight, so tomorrow I'll decorate. At 10:30 a.m., then fun begins. I plan short parties, so by noon, the festivities will end. The main party fun will be a backyard scavenger/treasure hunt. I have to hide 160 items in the morning.

Clearly, I am insane.

But in twelve hours, it'll be almost over. And he's going to have such a great time. I can't believe my baby boy is turning seven. Seven years ago, I was in labor--I labored 43 hours with him before he finally made his appearance. He's been a joy to me ever since.

9 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Sounds like you're all set! Parties are a lot of work, but can be much fun. Hope all goes well. Have fun.

43 hours? Evidently I didn't enjoy labor quite as much. I rushed through and finished after 7. :)

Suzanne

5:37 AM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Ahh, you are making a memory for your son! Hard work yes, but priceless treasure!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I can't wait to hear how it went!

6:36 AM  
Blogger weniki said...

Hope your party went well. You must have nice weather where you are to have an outdoor treasure hunt. I am jealous up here in snow country!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

"Nineteen of his closest friends.." I love that! :) Brought back so many memories of my daughter's wild birthday parties which she always talked us into. I was one of those insane mothers, too, who let my daughter have parties which shook the house simply because I knew she would be young only once... I hope everything went well with your son's special day! God bless... Debra

6:44 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

Cough, cough, cough!!! 43 HOURS! Ummmm, if your son ever in his life questions your undying love for him, please throw that in his face! After about 8 hours I would have given up and said never mind. He can come out when he pleases, but I'm not waiting! You are a brave and wonderful woman!

I hope your party went well. I am having a birthday party for my son in March (although his actual b-day is in January!). He doesn't have 19 friends, but he does have a large bit of family to invite! I know you are a great mom, b/c I would, again, give up after hiding about 8 items! I would be too afraid they'd never be found again! How fun!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Feeble Knees said...

One of the most devilishly devious moms I knew took all the little plastic trinkets for her child's birthday party scavenger hunt and buried them in her garden plot. She asked the other children's parents to dress the kids in clothes that were OK to get dirty, (and supply a change if necessary). She supplied the plastic shovels and buckets.

The kids loved it. And she had a freshly turned plot ready for planting ;)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

My one and only 'friends' birthday party was the day I turned seven. I remember everything about it. EVERYTHING.

43 hours of labor? I crown you queen!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

My one and only 'friends' birthday party was the day I turned seven. I remember everything about it. EVERYTHING.

43 hours of labor? I crown you queen!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares