Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I'm Glad You Asked

"Mel, how's it going, watching all those kids while you're schooling two pre-teens at home?"

I'm glad you asked.

First, let me say that Babygirl is me, only smaller. She is not a morning person. On Monday morning, she kept shrieking at DaycareKid, "STOP LOOKIN' AT ME!" She is a crab-apple and she remains irritable until after her noon-time nap. Seeing my own worst-self reflected in her is unpleasant, at best.

And then, Monday morning found me sitting on the floor with a howling baby. I realized I needed baby-wipes, so I interrupted my pre-teen boys' who were busily avoiding composition by making loud mouth noises. "Hey! Can you bring me the wipes? They're in that diaper bag right there."

Time passed. Slowly. CuteBaby still howled.

"Please! Hurry!"

"Mom, I can't find them."

Arg! I said, "Hey, can you hand me those wipes on the couch?" to DaycareKid. He ambled over to the couch, blinded to the bright-green wipe box in plain sight. I was trying to avoid standing up and getting the wipes myself, which was obviously a mistake. Slothfulness leads to trouble.

CuteBaby arched his back and screamed louder.

And then he peed. On my leg. Actually, on my ankle. I screamed and he stopped peeing and joined me in a scream-fest.

You haven't lived until you've been peed on first thing on a Monday morning while being bombarded by the cacophony of a bunch of grouchy kids. Trust me on that.

So, to answer your question ("How's it going?"), it's going swell! Swimmingly, even. Just peachy-keen. Actually, Babygirl adores CuteBaby and today all three little ones took long naps and my husband took the twins to get haircuts and it was quiet in my house.

And that, my friends, is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Oh, and best of all, today Babygirl saw her first-ever rainbow outside. It's the small things that make me smile.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

So, Mel, what is it that you yell at your husband when you're grouchy in the morning? Hmmmm? My personal favorites are "Would you please stop humming!", and "Don't talk to me". For some reason he always complies ;O)

6:05 AM  
Blogger The Narcissist said...

My Aud is totally not a morning person...she is 3 and she whines like a teenager about how she doesn't want to get up yet...close the door...leave me alone...the next 15 years are going to be so rough.

Um, pee - ew...poor thing.

Hope today is going better.

-Rebecca

8:43 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

It's good you can smile at the small things...sometimes that's all you can do at the time. You can laugh at the other junk later!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

Well, at least you never get bored, right?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Well, the ones you spend you day with at least have an excuse for cranky immature behavior.

Some of the adults I work with behave that way too! Well. Except for the peeing on your leg part. My co-workers don't do that. ;)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you're bases are covered... You got christened courtesy a little boy. Hope tomorrow is a better day!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I have something of the opposite problem. I USED to be a morning person... you know, bright cheery, ready to face the day... TALKATIVE. Now i like a slooooow start with lots of coffee and quiet. My oldest daughter on the other hand is exactly like I used to be. "Good morning mommy. The birds are singing outside. I love you mommy. The sun is shining. the grass is green. Are you going to cook breakfast... bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla..." I'm sitting there going, "Go to your room! Watch some cartoons. Please kid just let me get a couple of cups of coffee!" My second daughter is a slow starter too though, and she tends to be a bit fussy in the mornings.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares