Tuesday, March 01, 2005

About that Birthday Party

Saturday Birthday Party
Friday night, at about 10:00 p.m., my husband commented that if he'd been in charge, he would have just paid money and had the birthday party somewhere else. I gave him the evil eye and said, "Hey, this is not the time for criticism. This is the time for support and encouragement."

I love being 40 years old and aware enough to ask for what I need. No fights. No stomping. Just clear direction.

Saturday morning, my husband put the boys to work cleaning and picking up. Even though the first party-guest arrived at 9:50 a.m. ("Oh, are we early?") for the 10:30 a.m. party, I was ready.

Only ten of the nineteen guests came to the party, which was excellent because I only had enough chairs for twelve. Three moms stayed to help.

The only activity I planned was a scavenger hunt in the back yard. Each child was given a paper bag with a list of eight items to locate: gum, straw, block, small ball, bubbles, star, play-doh, glitter glue. Even though it was a bit chilly, the kids had a great time running around finding things. As usual, the activity took less time than anticipated, so I stretched it out by asking them to locate the extra hidden items.

Then they trampled inside for the opening of the gifts. Meanwhile, I had corn dogs and "bagel bites" heating in the kitchen. I spontaneously created a system for the gifts--I had each child give YoungestBoy his gift, in order according to their birthdays. This system brought a small semblance of order to the chaos of ripping open gifts. While he was opening gifts, some of the boys were draping their bodies over the coffee table and sliding down. The noise level rose higher and higher and the corn dogs were not heating fast enough.

But here is the beauty of the 90-minute party. Just about the time you regret throwing the party, you only have thirty minutes left to endure. We served lunch, then cake and had only about fifteen minutes left before parents began to arrive. The boys ran and yelled and grabbed each other until they were picked up one by one.

YoungestBoy had a great time. By noon, it was all over and by 2:00 p.m., I was heading away from home as fast as I could go.

The Academy Awards

I'd accepted a typing job for the weekend, due Monday morning. I probably shouldn't have agreed to do it, but I did. Saturday morning, no typing. Saturday afternoon, no typing. Saturday night, I began to type but only finished fourteen pages. Fatigue coupled with two sore, cracked, bleeding fingertips stopped me.

Sunday morning, no typing. Sunday afternoon, an hour of typing. But Sunday night (5:30 p.m.!) the Oscars started. What to do? I videotaped the awards and typed, typed, typed. At 10:00 p.m. I stopped typing and sat down to watch the award show. This year I saw four of the five movies nominated for Best Picture (I never did see "The Aviator"), so I was particularly interested in the results.

I watched the entire telecast in about 90 minutes. I fast-forwarded through almost all the acceptance speeches (what was up with receiving an award in the aisle?) and songs. I skipped the lesser awards (short documentaries, etc.) and just watched the main awards. I have to recommend the 90-minute Oscar viewing, too.

It was not until the next day that I saw the repeat showing of E! Entertainment's Red Carpet show with Star Jones. I have always kind of liked Star Jones--I'm pretty sure I'm the only woman in America who does--but why do woman who've lost some weight fail to realize that certain fashions are still not appropriate? As my friend, Lisa, said, "If back fat hangs over the back of the dress, put it back!" And I have to add, do not go sleeveless if your arms are jiggly.

And please, someone tell me, what has happened to Renee Zellwegger's face? She does not even resemble the woman who played opposite Tom Cruise in "Jerry McGuire." I can't figure it out. Her new face scares me.

I need to get to bed, but I will be compelled to read another chapter of Ice Bound.

By the way, my family room smells musty, but the ceiling is drying. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who forgets to turn off a faucet, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Narcissist said...

Brave woman to host such a party, but the 90 minute limit is so smart. I couldn't imagine all those kids though, what if all 19 had come? Eek! When Audrey is old enough for a party, I am telling her she can invite one kid for each year old she is. Though I'm not sure that 13 teenagers is that much better than 19 ten year olds.

I am too am taken aback by the new Renee Z, and you know, if you look at the old Nicole K, her face is dissimilar now as well. Completely different face.

-Rebecca

9:00 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

I'm going to look up Renee right after I finish this. I haven't paid attention in a while.

I'm having a b-day party for my two year old at the end of the month. I was thinking that your gift idea was great, but then I realized that asking a bunch of two year olds to do that probably won't work, eh?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

EWww! She looks NASTY!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares