Friday, January 13, 2006

A Fresh-Smelling Addendum

Dear Internet,

Thank you for pointing out that most boys don't discover the pleasures of appealing to girls showering until age fifteen. Since three years is a long time to inhale body odor, I realized some parental manipulation was in order.

I told them that they couldn't ride in the car with me--ever--unless they were clean and smelled good. Without delay, they rushed upstairs and one by one, came downstairs with sopping hair and, one would assume, defumigated underarms. You see, today is the day the video game they want should arrive at the video game store.

Incentives: the secret weapon of parents everywhere.

Thank you for your insight, Internet. How did I ever live without you?

Love and kisses,
Mel

6 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Ahhh, boys.

But at least you don't have to deal with the raging, schizophrenic mood swings of 12-year-old girls.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

One week two summers ago, my stepson (then 17) went an entire work week without a shower. As far as we know, he was in no place where he would shower. But he did have his handy Old Spice stick deoderant which he carried around in his car for those days when a shower was not a pending issue.

What did he do about his hair???? Wear a hat!!!

All I had to say about it was YUKO!

6:24 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Man, you're smart. I was wondering what you were going to do about this.

7:39 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

Hey, Mel...I took your advice and joined Blogspot just to have a place where others can follow me to my REAL blog, haha! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments. I see we enjoy a lot of the same books...I loved "Ellen Foster" and I'm a HUGE fan of Jodi Picoult. Have you discovered Nancy Thayer?? I'm not a fan of her "Hot Flash Club" books but I've enjoyed a lot of her previous books. I LOVE Anne Tyler...hands-down my favorite woman writer. Have you discovered Joanna Trollope? She's British and I love her books, too. Oh my...I could go on forever, lol! But I'll stop while I'm ahead...and I wanted to let you know I added you to my Internet Friends list...hope that's ok.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses "incentives" to re-exert some parental heft now and then. But mine's still only two...so I've got a lot to learn.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Ah, worry not about your young men. Soon they will discover a real incentive to spend extra time in the shower. You'll have to drag them out.

I hope you know what I mean... teenage boys are famous for it. Mwah.

Suzanne

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares