Saturday, January 07, 2006

About Those People at Albertson's

At 9 p.m., I went to the store tonight to buy ten pounds of potatoes. My husband gave me a list of his necessary items, too: bottled water, Welch's grape juice (plastic bottle, not frozen concentrate), peanut M&Ms in snack-size packs, lactose-free milk, Skinny Cow Fudge Bars and Dr. Pepper. You know, items vital to life.

Rain fell as I drove in the dark. Today is our twentieth straight day of rain. Hills are beginning to slide and I doubt we'll ever be able to remove the inflatable snowman from our front yard because I keep waiting for it to dry out before I store him away.

I wandered the aisles slowly, checking for sale items and calculating mentally whether I could make enough meals this week based on the stuff I have already in the freezer and cupboards. In the cereal aisle, a couple passed me and I kid you not, the cigarette smell met my nose a full ten feet before this couple walked by me. And wouldn't you know it, they stood directly behind me in line.

The only way anyone could smell more like cigarette smoke would be if they poked cigarettes into their hair and lit it on fire.

They let a barrel-chested older man ahead of them in line because he was only buying a box of sandwich bags. I let him go ahead of me, too. Then, another guy appeared in line behind me and ahead of the Cigarette Couple. He held only a roast, so I said, "Do you want to go ahead of me?" He looked puzzled and then said, "Sure. Thank you!" When he passed me, the odor of beer floated from him and settled into my unruly hair.

So, that's the reason I smell like I was guzzling beer and smoking cigarettes when in reality, I was grocery shopping. Honest.

p.s. I couldn't bear to buy the Welch's grape juice. It was over $4.50 for a 64 ounce bottle. My husband sadly informed me that Juicy Juice is just not the same and I said, "Well, I am incapable of buying a bottle of juice that costs so much." He'll have to do his dirty work on his own time.

p.p.s. Do you let people cut in front of you at the grocery store if you have a cart full of groceries? And do you call it a "cart" or a "buggy" or something else entirely?

11 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

It's a cart out here. And yes, I'll let folks in front of me in line if they only have a few things and I have a cartful. Never hurts to cultivate karma. :)

Suzanne

6:35 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Yes, we call it a cart.

I always let someone in front of me if they have only a few items and I have a bunch.

I hate when my hair and clothes absborb odors. Yuck, especially cigarette smoke. I would have had to take a shower before I could have gone to bed.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

It's called a cart in the Chicagoland area, too! I let someone with only a few things in front of me - I have also been known to hand someone a coupon for their item!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm am SUCH a grocery store snob. It seems like everyone there irritates me.

I let people cut in front of me only if I have a ton of stuff and they only have one or two.

But I'm just snobby enough to expect everyone to let ME cut.

(and we call them carts, too)

10:42 AM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

Ugh the cigarette smoke! I washed my foster dog's blankets as soon as I got her home, and I can still get a whiff.

Yes, cart. But then I only live 90 miles north of you, so I wouldn't expect otherwise.

If I'm feeling particularly magnanimous I'll let a person in front of me. But I usually shop where there's the <10 line anyway.

$4.50 for the juice?!? Lucky for him he's married to you...I'd make him drink tap water (or worse yet, my diet Coke). j/k. Sounds like someone needs a Costco membership!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Gem said...

I call it a cart or basket and yes, I let people in front of me if I'm loaded down.

5:57 PM  
Blogger yum said...

I call it a cart, and Im from southwestern PA, but some people in that area call it a buggy.

Now Im in NJ and most people here call it a CARRIAGE. That was surprising at first, hadnt heart that before.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I love when you write about nothing. You are hilarious. A cart. A buggy has horses pulling it or a baby inside, doesn't it?

1:44 AM  
Blogger Deb Heller said...

We call it a shopping cart. I had absolutely no idea it would be called anything else, much less a CARRIAGE in NJ??? (as yum said) Raining?!? Just think of it as liquid sunshine. heh.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Krisco said...

I'm wondering if you went to the grocery that night to get out of the house.... : )

And we say Cart.

And, sometimes. Okay, usually, if there's only one or two items. But it doesn't seem to happen often. (I must go at "mommy time.") But I don't like it when they assume I will let them cut in.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

In Georgia it's a buggy. I let people in front of me if I have a huge buggy full and they only have a couple things.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares