Sunday, January 08, 2006

Most Embarrassing Moment of the Day

I used to sing in church quite often. Since my 3-year old was born, not so much. She is a scaredy-cat and clingy and since my husband is busy on Sunday mornings, I've stepped aside.

But today, I led the congregational singing from the piano. And during the offertory, I sang a song.

And here's the embarrassing part.

I sang a song I composed. A simple song with a simple chord structure, involving a lot of flats. I ran through the fingering before church started. No problems. I don't have written music for it--well, maybe I do somewhere, but generally, I just play my homemade songs without music or even a chord chart.

So today, when I got to the chorus, I suddenly began to think about my fingering and the chords and then I blanked out and zigged when I should have zagged, hit E-flat when I should have hit B-flat and actually had to sing while my fingers hovered silently over the keyboard for a second.

Second verse, no problem. Then I stumbled on the chorus again.

That's what I get for thinking while playing.

I might still be blushing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Home's Jewels said...

hmm, blogger ate my comment. I feel your pain. I sang/played a song I wrote at our wedding and did the same thing. I have yet to watch that part of our wedding in our videotape from over 20 yrs ago. It's too painful to even think about!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I feel your pain.

For me it was during communion on Christmas day.

I played the music to the wrong song. Two other people were depending on me NOT to blow it, but true to form, I did.

Things got crazy at my house shortly after this happened. My mom fell, 18 people came to my house for dinner... I hadn't much time to think about it since it happened.

Geesh...thanks for reminding me! At least we can blush together!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Gem said...

My husband is a singer/songwriter and on more than one occasion he's started a song and blanked on the words -- to his own songs! Since it's an a capella group, there's no accompaniment to vamp while he remembers, either!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

oh gosh, those are the kinds of things we have nightmares about, aren't they?

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares