Tuesday, November 01, 2005

What Day is This?

Last week, I gave my daughter some toast before bathtime. Some time later, as she was climbing into the tub, I asked, "Did you eat your toast?"

She eyed me for a moment, then flashed a quizzical grin, lifted her foot up and stuck her toes into her mouth. I stared at her in some confusion until I realized she thought I said "toes," as in "Did you eat your toes?"

I just had a moment of utter bewilderment in which I could not remember if it were Tuesday or Wednesday. My thoughts went something like this:

Wait, today the boys went to P.E.
But today is Tuesday. P.E. is Wednesday.
And Monday.
Wait, Monday was Halloween.
But this morning was quiet.
Oh no, that was yesterday morning. This morning we caught up on all the half-done and incorrect assignments.
Are you sure it's not Wednesday?
No, Halloween was Monday. That was yesterday.
So it's not Wednesday?
No, it has to be Tuesday because the Real World was just on.

A little more than three years ago, I told my husband I needed to get away. Overnight, at least a couple of nights. Time was running out and I had realized that I had never spent a night away from my then-four year old son. I was about to give birth to another baby and I knew I'd be sticking close to home for a long time after the baby arrived.

I ended up having my little fling a few days before my daughter was born. She was born three days early. (I returned home on Saturday night and Monday night I gave birth to her at home after six hours of almost complete denial of my labor.)

But the point of this story is that I haven't had a break--an overnight break--away from my children in over three years now, since that time away when I was forty weeks pregnant, give or take a day or two.

On Friday, I am leaving. My husband hatched this plan for me to go away to a hotel for two nights. I'm not going far, but far enough. I'll be shopping, reading, seeing movies, sleeping, and basking in the silence of solitude.

To say that I'm eager would be an understatement. That's why I was hoping it was Wednesday, even though it's just Tuesday. Only three more work days and I'll be footloose and fancy-free.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrim said...

Good for you, Mel. I have another friend who is taking four days off this weekend. She's been about to go over the edge.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow... that is the BEST!!! Have a great time and return refreshed, relaxed, rejuvinated. I'll be here envying you...

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

How delicious! I'm hoping it won't be 3 more years before you do this again. My goodness woman. You must be one tough cookie to have made it so long. I'll be praying that God slows down time for you so you can enjoy every minute of your time away.

Jan

11:21 AM  
Blogger Smoov said...

From a mother who takes lots of breaks from her kids, you will feel so great when you get home! Have fun doing whatever the hell you like.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I am not the only person who does not know what day it is. I KNEW Hayley's dental appointment was on the 2nd. I KNEW Tuesday was the first. I KNEW Wednesday was going to be the 2nd. So why I checked Hayley out of school & took her to the dentist on Tuesday is beyond me. I felt sooooo stupid. AND, the school made me get an excuse from the dentist saying that I actually did show up on the wrong day.......

Have fun on your mini vacation. I hope you feel renewed & re-energized. That is if you can remember which day to come back on.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Enjoy your peace and quiet, Mel. You've certainly earned it. :)

Suzanne

4:59 PM  
Blogger tab said...

oh, I want to come!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares