Monday, October 31, 2005

Why I Love Halloween



Once upon a time there was a daddy. This daddy was the strong, silent type, apt to yell at inanimate objects like lawnmowers and car engines. His little girl was the quiet, timid type, apt to shrink into corners. She'd examine him shyly out of the corners of her eyes at the dinner table, and if she spoke, it'd be in a whisper.

But one time a year--guaranteed--this daddy would throw off his burdens and dig out his stage-makeup kit and play. He'd carve pumpkins into smiling jack-o-lanterns. He'd laugh. This was a holiday unlike any other, a holiday devoted to being childlike, a holiday comprised of candy and costumes.

And so, I've always loved Halloween. I regard it now as I did as a child. In my neighborhood full of mostly retired folks, a ring of the bell is met with a handful of candy and a smile.




Tonight was no different. My 3-year old girl (dressed as a green cateripllar) said, "Trick or treat time!" at each house, then said, "Thank you," in her piping baby voice. My 7-year old only had to be reminded at every other house to say thank you. "But, Mom," he'd say, "I'm so excited, I forget!" He was dressed in a homemade cape with the word "FLAME" emblazoned on the back. "Flame" is a superhero of his own creation.

After trick-or-treating, we dropped off the little one at home and I took the boys to the YMCA for their festivities, an old fashioned carnival. They had as much fun as you can have at a carnival in an hour.



And so every year at this time, I relish the joy of a holiday that brought out my somber daddy's fun side. Besides that, I get to create cute costumes for my cute kids so I can make cute scrapbook pages. And then, when they're tucked into bed for the night, I can go trolling for Snickers bars and other nut-filled chocolates they hate. That is my duty as a caring mother.

12 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Oh, the nut filled ones are my favorites!

Wonderful pictures, Mel. I especially like the last one... :)

Halloween is probably my favorite holiday.

9:59 PM  
Blogger فضيله خالد said...

Yes, I can see why halloween is your favourite holiday..
I like the pictures as well..
So adorable..

10:03 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Great pictures!!

1:29 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Oh, how cute!

3:57 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

wonderful pictures! It sounds like you all had a great time!

And it wouldn't be Halloween without sneaking into the little darlings' candy after they're asleep, would it? hee hee. My kids have already figured out that Mom is pretty much going to pick out all of the Baby Ruths. They know not to get to attached to them. :-)

4:55 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Too fun! I just loved the little girl who came to the door all by herself last night, impeccably done as an angel. I breathed a delighted "ooooh!" at her costume, and she looked up at me with her shiny dark eyes, every black hair in place with little pink roses woven into it, and said solemnly, "I'm an angel!" I gave her candy and was about to close the door, and she announce again, with great import, "I'm an ANGEL!" She was.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I am glad you posted your thoughts on Halloween, finally (after I read your comment at chewymom, I've been waiting...)

After the kids were in bed, hubby and I sat on our dark, cold patio to look at the stars with a beer and a *few* pilfered candy bars---the kind they wouldn't eat anyway. I hate waste.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Chewy Mom said...

Ah...so you're one of "those." The good mommies who eat the candy their kids hate. I snitch the good stuff while mine are at school! [Evil laugh]

10:59 AM  
Blogger Smoov said...

I love the pictures, you have inspired me to do something like that with my old Halloween pictures. And I love that my daughter doesn't like the nut candies, yummmmmmmmmm!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that my kids are all grown I love to greet the little ghosts and gobblins that visit my door. Eating left over chocolate for breakfast the next day is also a good thing :-).

7:50 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Mario and Luigi!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Great pictures... great story!!! Happy (belated) Halloween!!!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares