Friday, June 03, 2005

Books Galore

I've been tagged by Barbara Curtis. This is all about books, one of my favorite things.

Total books owned, ever:
I can't really begin to know, for sure, but probably over a thousand, maybe well over a thousand. I scour thrift stores and garage sales and a group of four of us send around a box full of books to share with each other. I have fifty books right now demanding my attention, NEXT.

Last book(s) I bought:
Just received an order from Amazon.com today. In it was "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2005;" "The Mommy Manual: Planting Roots that Give Your Children Wings" by Barbara Curtis; and "Home to Harmony" by Philip Gulley (I needed a third cheap book to get free shipping).

Last book I read:
I am half-way through "Jayber Crow" by Wendell Berry. Right before this, I read Janet Evanovich's "Two for the Dough."

Five books that mean a lot to me:
1) The Bible (I prefer New International Version). Words to live by.
2) "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Faith" by Anne Lamott. She offers me hope and makes me laugh.
3) "Disappointment with God" by Philip Yancey. His words accompanied me on my journey through infertility.
4) "A Circle of Quiet" by Madeleine L'Engle. Resonates with the girl inside me who longs for her own circle of quiet.
5) "No Ordinary Home: The Uncommon Art of Christ-Centered Homemaking" by Carol Brazo. I met Carol in a writing class about fifteen years ago. She was home with three small kids, just starting her writing career. I was at home without kids, waiting to adopt. She was germinating this book at the time and I watched from a distance as she became a published writer. Her story gives me hope and the book itself is lovely and encouraging.

I'm supposed to tag five people . . . just about everyone I know has been tagged, but if you haven't, please leave a comment and let us know where we can read about your books!

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Hey Mel, I tag me for you :o) See my books at http://pausingtoponder.com later Saturday (it's almost 3 a.m. now and I suspect I'll sleep til noon tomorrow!)
Blessings.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Oh, no Mel. Another book for my wish list. :-) No Ordinary Home is the only one I don't have, on you mean-a-lot list. I just read the reviews on Amazon, and it looks like a good one.)

5:50 AM  
Blogger Smoov said...

Done with grad school now, all I do is read. I plan to read everything in the next year, all of it.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

I haven't done this yet either. I tag me for you. I don't kave time to post it right now but it will be up by the time your kids wake you up Sunday morning.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Mine are posted at www.judyh58.blogspot.com

Although, limiting myself is HARD. I have favorite catagories of books.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

I FINALLY have it up!

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares