Sunday, May 30, 2004

I Could Have Been A Surgeon

I woke up this morning and felt my gold hoop earring under my fingers, near my pillow. I fingered my ear and sure enough, no earring. Then, I probed my other earlobe. No earring. Apparently, I had some kind of dream in the night in which I had to remove both earrings. I have no memory of this dream or action. Weird, huh?

Babygirl woke up with a runny nose today. Alas, we had to go to church anyway because I was in charge of leading the music. Despite her snottiness, she was fairly cheerful, unless, of course, someone said, "Hi Baby!" to her, in which case she buried her mucus-y nose in my shoulder.

Later in the afternoon, I took the kids to the pool. The sun actually shone and the rain stopped and despite a stiff breeze, the kids said, "It's hot! Let's go to the pool!" Babygirl was happy to go anywhere in the car. Lately, she wants to go places and do things.

YoungestBoy passed his swim test the second time he took it today. The first test today, he swam underwater nearly the whole way. Not good enough. He needed to do the crawlstroke, so he swam back to the rope (underwater) and then did a flailing crawlstroke back to the other end of the pool. The lifeguard looked dubious, but then said, "He wants to go off the diving board, doesn't he?" I said, "Yes!" and he said, "Well, okay, but if he gets tired, tell him he has to get out."

YoungestBoy said, "But mom, I never get tired!" Then he proceeded to jump off the diving board about twenty times in a row.

At 5:00 p.m., my husband arrived with hot dogs for the grill and the necessary accompaniments. (Chips, ketchup and mustard!) I took Babygirl home and left the boys under his care. They swam for another hour.

At home, Babygirl and I went in the back yard and she wandered around while I pulled a few weeds and trimmed some ivy.

When the kids came home, my husband mentioned that YoungestBoy's swimming trunks were stuck to his . . . private parts. Oh no! This happened once last year and it was a pain, literally, to get it unstuck. Same swimming trunks, too. Last year, I figured it was a fluke. Apparently, I was sadly mistaken.

I went up to the bathroom to find my boy sitting in the warm tub water, swimming trunks still on. Upon closer examination, I discover that the delicate skin has somehow poked through the tiny mesh holes and is stuck in two places. Can everyone say a big "ouch"?

My first thought was lubricant. Unfortunately, I don't even have baby oil in the house. I thought maybe hair serum would work--it's greasy and slippery stuff designed to combat friz.

My baby and my husband are looking over my shoulder. My husband says, "Are you sure? The area is . . . well, sensitive, you know." I decide to pour baby shampoo on it instead, though in hindsight, I'm not sure how I thought that would help. Poor kid is yelping whenever I tug on the mesh. I decide to cut off the swimming trunks, leaving just a square of mesh around the "area."

First, hair shears. No. Not sharp enough. Then kitchen shears. Again, no. Not sharp enough. Finally, I resort to my sewing scissors. This works and I leave a small square of mesh fabric hanging off the end of his tiny little member.

Then, I think, Wait! Heat expands, cold contracts! Let's put it in a bowl of ice water and see if the tissue shrinks. At this point, tissue is stuck in one single hole, but it pokes through like a little water balloon which has been stuck through a chainlink fence and then filled with water. Can we all pause and say, "ouch" again? Thank you.

So, I fill a small Rubbermaid measuring cup with cold water and an ice cube. I hold this chilly cup to his little willy and he flinches. If he could stand the frigidity, this might work. Alas, too cold and the little bubble of flesh remains stuck.

I pick up my sharp shears. I clip, I snip, I work slowly, painstakingly, one miniscule thread at a time. I realize I cannot cut the final edges or I'll prick his, well, his skin. But I get very, very close. He wiggles the fabric and it completely frays, leaving him free of the strangling mesh.

We high-five and he hugs me and thanks me for saving his life. I say, "Well, even if it were cut, you wouldn't die." "I wouldn't?" he says. This leads into an deep discussion of amputation and when it would and when it would not lead directly to death. He also makes me promise to always let him wear underpants under his swimming trunks. I promise and think to myself that I will write a scathing letter to Ocean Pacific and demand to know why they use mesh which can entrap a little boy's, uh, little boy. If you know what I mean.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Can that really happen??? Wow! I'm speechless... ~Mary

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Your poor little Zachary! How sad for him :-(
And how sad for your ranger friend :-( Tell him I said thanks for all he gave up to go over there for me.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Your poor little Zachary! How sad for him :-(
And how sad for your ranger friend :-( Tell him I said thanks for all he gave up to go over there for me.
Brandie

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know many military wives...their sacrifices are about as amazing as their husbands' sacrifices. Thanks for sharing your story about that...it's pretty interesting..

Kids swimming = Tired kids Yay! I know that is the whole point of it for me...

You are brilliant to let little willy chill for a minute...I raised a boy to 18 years old and never dealt with such a thing!

~Tina

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG poor kid. Give him a hug for me. I would write to the company about their dangerous swimwear. I don't know how he remained so calm.

I don't think it matters if someone is killed by "friendly fire" or enemy fire. To me it is one & the same. I can't even imagine what it must be like in the heat of battle. There are bound to be some accidents. I feel for the families of those who don't make it home.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares