Monday, May 24, 2004

Here We Go Again

YoungestBoy went on a field trip with his kindergarten class today, so the house is exceptionally quiet. They are going to Northwest Trek to see animals.

My husband's day off is today, but he's working. Boy, I say that a lot. He will officiate at the graveside service for Christine, who died last Tuesday. I can never decide which is worse--to bury someone on a beautiful sunny day, like today, to on a stormy, rainy day, which seems more appropriate to me.

Babygirl is laying on the floor, under her blanket, watching Sesame Street. DaycareKid fell asleep with his blanket in his mouth, so I took it away and stood him up. It's not nap-time! It's only 10:50 a.m.--they haven't had lunch yet.

When I finished weeding out my biggest flowerbed yesterday, I planted daylillies and dahlias and wild-flower seeds and then turned on the sprinkler. My mom arrived and sat in the backyard with me and tried to befriend Babygirl. When she left, the boys decided to run in the sprinkler. We have the kind that goes up and down, like a lifting waterfall and they would stand in front of it and pretend they were being "scanned" so they could go into an alternate universe.

I watched them shriek and run around and wondered how much longer their childhood will last. When are you too old to run in the sprinkler? When does it stop being fun to get wet on a mildly sunny spring afternoon? When are you too cool to make a fool of yourself in the backyard? I sat and watched all four of my kids playing together--Babygirl was timidly running her fingers through the water-spray--and then got out the video camera to capture the moment.

YoungestBoy is my camera hog and he was in fine form. He kept appearing in the viewfinder, waving and saying "hi!" When the twins went inside, and I focused on Babygirl, he got right in front of her and started to dance. I tried to not giggle, but I couldn't help myself. He's at a chubby stage right now and he's a hysterically funny, enthusiastic and horrible dancer. He even reaches down to touch the ground occasionally and kind of hops his feet up in the air as if he's a gravity-bound gymnast. Today when I showed my husband the video, I laughed so hard I had to wipe the tears from my eyes.

Sometimes I think that my life would have been so much simpler if we'd only had the twins, but simple is not always better. Complicated, chaotic, and messy is a whole lot more fun. I get to enjoy childhood just that much longer, even if only from the sidelines in my old lawn chair. Just don't expect me to run through the sprinkler.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be brave and play in the sprinkler! It's much more fun!!~Jen

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares