Wednesday, January 14, 2004

That's ONE Mistake, Mom! One!

Tonight while I was making sure the twins were actually in bed (at almost 9 p.m.), I found a soggy pile of socks and pants in the middle of the floor. I didn't mean to, but I went into a little rant that went something like this: "Why can't you put your clothes in the laundry room? I'm so sick of picking up wet clothes from the floor. I'll bet Nick never leaves his wet clothes on the floor."

Nick is the kid we know who is a year older than my twins. He is every parent's dream--smart, kind and dependable. He's well-liked by his classmates and easy-going.

Now, of course I know better than to compare my kids out loud to other kids. I try hard not to even compare them to each other out loud. But sometimes, I fail.

So, after I threw the yucky clothes into the laundry room, TwinboyA looks up from his book and says, "Mom, that's one ! One mistake!"

"What?" I said.

"Mom, that's one mistake! Comparing us to other kids is one mistake! And just one of many!"

I laughed. Then I went over and peered into his blue eyes and tried to figure out what to do about those two blackheads on his nose and said, "Look, son, all I'm saying is that I want you guys not to leave your wet clothes on the floor."

"Mom, we don't have time in the morning. . . ."

"Son, those clothes were from this afternoon when your brother changed after school."

"Oh." He looked a little sheepish then.

This boy is keeping a mental tally, though. He is watching me, grading me, cataloging my failures. He's kind of like me and I'm kind of like him--and somedays I do not appreciate the mirror.
Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares