Thursday, March 30, 2006

Untitled Due to Lack of Creativity

Hi.

Do you sense that yawning chasm in my brain? Because I have been digging around in there and find that it's pretty much empty. Just echoes in the air and foil wrappers from chocolate Easter candy littering the floor.

I would like to point out that if you arrive on my doorstep around 3:00 p.m., you will find my house in a state of complete disarray. I don't bother picking up toys or straightening up the kitchen or doing much of anything between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. These are the sacred hours, the Nap Hours, the house during which I try to trick my 3 year old into staying upstairs, watching television. These are the hours in which my almost-13-year old boys disappear into their room, wandering out only to find a snack. If they speak to me, I say, "Please, do NOT talk to me!" I suppose they'll discuss my behavior with their therapist in years to come.

And from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., I am doing school-at-home with the boys while keeping an eye on my daughter, her 3-year old buddy and the 16-month old baby boy. You can imagine the utter devastation occurring moment by moment.

My daughter woke up at 4:45 a.m. She was hysterical over a bad dream she'd had. In her dream, a spider licked and licked a bee, then ate it and spit it out. Apparently, this is terrifying if you are three and a half. She insisted on watching a video, so I pushed in "Blue's Clues" and warned her not to wake me and abandoned her in her room. Because I am self-centered like that and completely delirious in the dark hours of pre-dawn.

She woke me once to ask for a cookie. ("No, you can't have a cookie. Go back to your room.") Then at 6:00 a.m., she crawled into my bed and slept. Problem was, I had trouble falling back asleep and so this morning at 8:00 a.m., I was not ready to face the day. I'm still not really ready, but the day is moving forward anyway.

And now, my bladder pleads with me to heed its call and I hear a baby crying somewhere in the distance. (Oh wait. Too much information?)

Bye.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb Heller said...

Uh... Thank you for sharing.

;-)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I never did particularly well when my kids woke up in the wee small hours of the morning. Recently, my daughter couldn't sleep because she was stressed out or something. She was up watching Casablanca at 4:00 a.m. It was nice not having to worry about that. I just said "goodnight" and went back to bed.

Hope you get a good, sound sleep tonight.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

You are making me very glad that my youngest child is school aged now! :)

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares