Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Time Warp

All four seasons collided today in my back yard. After the preschoolers trailed in wet leaves, I realized the lull in the rain practically required me to rake up the slimy leaves.

So, at naptime, I donned gloves and boots and ventured into the soggy back yard. I raked leaves (autumn), while the sun shone (summer), noted the green shoots from crocuses and daffodils in the flowerbeds (spring) and yet, it is January (winter, according to the calendar). The afternoon was so pleasant and my mood reflected the sunny skies. That's what I love about the Pacific Northwest. Sometimes the seasons merge together or appear out of order, unlike the snowy winters of northern Michigan where a relentless cold wind blew west to east, leaving six foot drifts of snow by winter's end.

The rain eventually stops.

I've queried several friends and relatives, pleading with them to tell me what to do. Should I go to school, with the eventual goal of becoming a nurse? Or not? Am I too old? Nearly everyone has encouraged me to pursue schooling . . . and I think that's probably the wise thing to do. I told myself to day I can always quit--at any step, I can quit. The important thing is to start, take the first step.

I know a terrible fact about myself, though, that threatens to trip me. I am sequential in my approach to life and tasks and sometimes this is a problem because I can't do a particular thing until I do something else first. For instance, I can't bake cookies until the kitchen is completely clean. And I can't work on scrapbooks until my house is tidy. Can I go to class while my laundry remains wrinkled?

I'm worried that I can't possibly start school until every thing else lines up in impeccable order, which is clearly impossible since I live in a house with four children, three cats, school-at-home books stacked on my desk, a cupboard jumbled with Corningware and Tupperware without matching lids, and thirty-seven unmatched socks who've lost mates.

I am distressed to skip ahead when all this isn't quite lined up and resolved. But this will never be lined up and resolved and I must lift up my eyes and focus on the future. For in ten years, I will be fifty . . . but will I be fifty with an interesting, lucrative, flexible job or will I be fifty, wondering why I never did get my act together?

Well, for now, that question looms stark while the answer remains blurry around the edges. But I think the essence of the answer involves accepting the jumble around me and forging ahead.

Tomorrow I will make a list of the steps I should take. One step at a time, even if that voice in my head is screeching in panic about the random insanity of starting something when everything else is half-unraveled. That's not crazy, right? That's progress.

18 Comments:

Blogger FairMaid said...

You can do it, Mel!
That is, if you want to and you think this is best. ;-) Maybe this can be a new start, a new beginning of not doing things 'in order' and 'when everything is perfect,' but instead simply when it is the right time to do them. I think you are very brave to start something new, and definitely not too old! If this is your dream, go for it!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Become a nurse by all means. My mother suffered terribly from the empty nest experience until she became a nurse and filled her life with other interests than childraising.
She came to work in the psychiatric ward where she believed, "everone is just like me!" She was a wonderful open non-judgemental mother to so many.

2:14 AM  
Blogger ilovecheese said...

Hi Mel! I feel you should go ahead and go to nursing school, you deserve it for yourself - after all it would help so many other people, most importantly it would help you! Who knows when you are away the socks might find their mates..and the boys could learn to do more things around the house! Maybe it'll get everyone to do their bit..and you are never too old to do somrthing you love, right?

2:21 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Being selfish here...might that mean that you would stop blogging?

If you plan to go, go now. By about 45 I could feel the brain cells rolling out of my ears everytime I tilted my head.

And, being someone who has spent a considerable amount of time in hospitals (for other people) last year, the nursing world could use another pair of loving hands.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Lists rule. Definitely start with a list.

Suzanne

5:19 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Maybe I'm a sequencer too. I've always put it down to being task-oriented. If I walk by something on the floor, I am prone to think, "I should pick that up next time I go by, but I'm on my way to do X right now."

7:41 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Go for it, Mel. You'll be the same age whether you go to school or not. How much better to reach the age and be able to say you went for your dream.

7:52 AM  
Blogger M3 said...

Do it!!! And good for you. I have a million "I shoulds" and a million more "buts." And I'm trying to get even more "I dids." It's hard, but each one makes me smile.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Go for it! Now is a great time to start. And don't you know, Wednesdays are anti-procrastination days?

8:31 AM  
Blogger tab said...

If going to school and a job/career is important to you (later down the road) then take the plunge and go for it. Put the schooling more towards the top of your list of priorities. It's just a readjustment of your list that's all.

9:09 AM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

Hey, Mel. Just had this discussion with a friend. He and I just graduated with our BAs this past December. He's 48, I'm 47, and we're both starting grad school now (at least a two-year, possibly three-year, investiment of time).

Ask yourself this. Is it your passion? Do you want to do it? In three years, you're going to be the same age, whether you attend nursing school or not. So age is an irrelevant issue to the entire discussion. Is it your passion? Is it something you long to do? Do you think you'd be good at it? Can you make it work?

If the answer to most or all of these questions is "yes," then what are you waiting for? Enroll. Now.

I promise you.... PROMISE... PINKY SWEAR PROMISE.... you will not be sorry for a minute that you did it.

~C~

11:35 AM  
Blogger The Catharine Chronicles said...

Oh, yeah... I forgot the most important part... going back to school is like having a baby. If you waited for everything to be perfect before motherhood -- the nursery, the daycare situation, the money situation, and all the lids to fit perfectly on the Tupperware -- you would most certainly still be waiting.

It doesn't have to be pretty, sugar. It just has to get done.

So, hop to it! That's an order.

~C~

11:38 AM  
Blogger Smoov said...

Yes, you can leave the laundry and go to classes. I do it all the time! Someone will eventually pick up the slack or be naked. I have found my 10 year old is much more useful than she ever let on.

12:26 PM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

I agree w/97.5% of the above. For heaven's sake woman, go back to school! You know you have the brain power (yes you do). And having enough stamina to take care of your own 4 kids (plus some extras)means you have plenty of stamina for the school thingy. (Now if I could only get you to go to PLU.) (And no I wouldn't be able to pay for PLU either.)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Mel, I think you'd be a great midwife. ;)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

I am sequential in the way I tackle things too. Thanks for giving it a name. My sister and mother could dive right in to a new project in the middle of a mess, but I couldn't. I had to get all my ducks in a row before I could start something new. They sure got a lot more creative stuff done. They just thought about it and did it!!! Amazing to me.

When I hit my 50's I took great comfort in this quote
"It is never too late to become what you might have been."

Go for it Mel. You can do it.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Ok yeah, a bit late to the discussion. Everybody pretty much beat me to it, so I think I will just sing along with Elizabeth.

Are we talking about an RN vs. an LVN or something completely different?

My mother went to nursing school with two young daughters, and although it was tough (graveyard shifts and such) I don't think she regrets it one bit.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I think you should do it. I am sure you will be a great student...and then a wonderful nurse.

Your powers to juggle are already evident.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares