Monday, January 16, 2006

Rain Rain Rain Sunbreak Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain

The Seattle Rain Streak ended . . . without setting a record. But yesterday, rain did fall as we drove home from church. The official rain gauge at the Sea-Tac airport, however, stayed rainless, so officially, we only had twenty-seven straight days of rain.

Today, raindrops kept falling on my head. I noticed while I was out and about (without kids!) that no one uses an umbrella or even hoods. We just pretend that rain is not sprinkling onto our heads and leaving puddles in the parking lots.

I find it especially annoying that the rain continues, yet the thirty-three day record eludes us. After all, we've lived through twenty-seven days of rain . . . twenty-nine, if you count yesterday and today . . . yet, we'll have no bragging rights.

Did you know that Oahu holds a record for 247 consecutive days of rain?

Breaking News:
On the television news station, I hear that Olympia, Washington, is still in the running for a Rain Record, thirty days and counting.

I've been extremely busy the past few days . . . napping and decluttering and watching four hours' worth of television. Those of you who are fans of "24" know what I'm talking about. I seldom park myself in front of the television, but I've watched every episode of "24" and I eagerly awaited the start of the new season last night. I rushed through the bedtime routine at record speed and unceremoniously deposited my daughter in her bed without lingering. It sounded like this: "Thislittlelightofmine, I'mgonnaletitshine, thislittlelightofmine, I'mgonnaletitshine, letitshineletitshineletitshine. . . " and so on.

Tomorrow, we'll be back to our regular schedule. Childcare, doing school-at-home, laundering clothes, cooking dinner, singing songs at regular speed, reading two bedtime books, deciding what to be when I grow up, dodging raindrops. You know, the usual.

8 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

What are you going to be when you grow up? Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe you can give me a clue as to what I want to be. :)

Suzanne

6:24 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

Boy do I know the story. I dont watch Lost but there was a two hour marathon of the Bachlor last night. I had some computer work I wanted to do before then so I just started the kids to bed a wee bit early. We read out two books but Jesus loves me was sang precisely the way you described This little light of mine. It's comforting to know others do the same things! LOL

7:29 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

When do you have time to work on your ark. One of those wonderful Northwest Native canoes would serve your little band well.

10:09 AM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

I am crushed. No rain record. If we had to be soggy for that darn long, I WANT A RECORD!!! Sigh. Life continues to be unfair.

12:16 PM  
Blogger dinodoc said...

Oh and may I just add:

President Palmer! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Um....it could be snow?? Sorry, we have had a lot of rain too - but certainly not as much as you - we need some sun!!!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Deb Heller said...

When I was a junior in highschool in Washington, I remember that the new girl in my geometry class was amazed that she was soaking wet, and we native Washingtonians were dry, sans umbrellas. She couldn't believe it, and asked us how we did it. We didn't know. It just "is" we told her.

To this day, I still could not answer her question. Heh.

24 didn't disappoint, that's fer shure. Enjoyed every second :tick: :tick: :tick: of it. Jean Smart is really showing her acting stuff these days, as the Prez's wife. Oh, and I thought I'd never see a Prez more inept than the one we have in office right now. I'm glad he's make-believe!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I never thought I would be asking what I would be when I grow up when I was this age....but I still ask that question too.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares