Friday, December 16, 2005

Reality Show Comments

I am hopelessly interested in myself. And I'm a voyeur. That explains two things:

1) My impulse to take those silly blog quizzes which tell you what kind of food, president or novel character you are. In past days, I've discovered that I'm Mexican food, Abraham Lincoln and . . . I can't remember the other thing.

2) My inability to not watch "Survivor" and "The Apprentice." Admit it. You wondered where I was last night when you realized there was no fresh post from me. Well, I was watching the finale of the Donald Trump version of the Apprentice and I'm about to talk about it so if you are allergic to or disdainful of reality television, you might want to move along to a blog talking about . . . oh, I don't know, you figure something out.

First of all, not long ago, on "Survivor," the winner of a particular challenge won a car. Cindy was informed that in ten seasons of Survivor, every single car winner did NOT win the million dollar prize. She was given the chance to "break the curse" by giving up the car and instead, giving a car to each of the other four remaining players.

She looked agonized for a moment, then decided to keep the car herself, thus effectively depriving four other people of a brand new car. (She was voted out next.)

Last night, on "The Apprentice," Trump hired Randall, the well-educated and talented man. Then, at the very last minute, while Randall was high-fiving and hugging and celebrating his victory, Donald Trump hollered to him, "RANDALL! RANDALL!" and had him sit back down. Trump asked Randall if he thought Trump should hired Rebecca as well. Randall said, no, there is only one apprentice, otherwise it would be called The Apprenti.

Huh, what? I think Trump was shocked. Who wouldn't be? I can understand Cindy in "Survivor" not giving away four new cars because she would have been deprived of a new car herself, but Randall would still have had his job, even if Trump also hired Rebecca.

I don't get it. Is this greed? Self-absorption? Looking out for number one? Clawing your way to the top?

You'd think I'd know since I am narcissistic and all, but I'm stumped. I like to think I would have been generous in both situations . . . granted, the car would have hurt a little, but the joy of making four other people deliriously happy, not to mention the increased chance of winning the entire game would have assuaged the temporary pangs. But Randall's outright recommendation against hiring Rebecca? That was just plain mean.

9 Comments:

Blogger Eyes for Lies said...

Randall was an a$$, frankly. He will get what he deserves!

9:33 AM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

Yeah, I saw that. I was actually kinda surprised that Trump selected Randall in the 1st place. Sure he was more qualified and educated, but I thought that he lacked the diplomacy required by "good" team leaders.

Honestly, I was rooting for Randall, right up until the final board meeting, when I discovered what a jerk he actually was. When they had their final inputs, Rebecca was far more diplomatic than Randall. She promoted herself without directly slamming Randall, while Randall went out of his way to drag Rebecca through the mud, and this was after their lunch date where they gushed over how talented the other person was.

Everything Rebecca said in her final statement was consistent with what she said to Randall during lunch, but Randall sounded like he was talking about a completely different person when describing how inept Rebecca was. I found that to be rather two-faced and too cut-throat for my tastes, but seeing how Trump is known for being a bit of a prick, I suppose that cut-throat tactics are right up his alley.

And I'm still pissed that Randall didn't recommend retention of Rebecca (Wow... that was an unintentional alliteration! I'm such a poet sometimes!)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I think it was totally unfair for Trump to ask that question in the first place!

It is not and shouldn't be Randalls' place to tell him who to hire and fire. Why should Randall be the one and only contestant to have that question in four seasons? If Trump wanted her as well, he should have just hired both, no questions asked.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

first time commenter... lol

the survivor one i think was tuff because you don't really know if you'll win and you want something for all the crap you've just put up with.

now the apprentice one had me thinking last night. i have to say... it was very unfair of Trump to put Randall on the spot. Randall won fair and square and to be asked to share the spot light with his competitor was not a fair question. Though I am a very giving person I would probably have done the same as Randall.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Ok, after reading all the other comments I have to say I'm a little tossed up - I was as appalled as you were, Mel, with regard to how Randall handled that last minute of the show - I have to say I totally lost what little respect I had for Randall after he did that. But I have to say, Trump should have just said - "and Rebecca, you're hired, too!" instead of leaving it up to Randall. Randall was totally eating up the spotlight, and he didnt want to share it. As far as I'm concerned, he made himself look bad. The whole Survivor thing - I have to say by the end of that show I could not have cared less who won - I did'nt like any of them anymore - they were all quite mean by the end. This was not a great Survivor Season.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I can't believe people "put their thong on backward " over a "Reality Show". IT IS A FANTASY SHOW SHAPED FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

Laugh and let it go!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Dora said...

Oh - I just wrote about this very topic on my blog.

I wasn't rooting for Randall.

http://lifeslaundry.blogs.com/lifes_laundry/2005/12/last_night_foun.html

6:16 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I can't get over the fact that Rebecca was only 23! She was so mature. Surely someone will snatch her up. She's very talented and smart, but also articulate and classy. I can't imagine going through all the difficulties with a broken ankle! What a pain. She did great, and will continue to excel at whatever she does. The only thing she didn't have was experience, but that will come in time, of course. Hopefully we'll see her again. You're right, it makes other people look bad when they put opponents down while they are trying to look good. Caroline really seemed to like Rebecca, maybe she'll hire her or look out for her.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have heard Dh & I yelling at the TV when Randall said, "NO". Both of thought Trump was going to hire both of them. I still think that was his intention. I feel like Trump thought Randall was going to say yes. I don't think Trump would put Rebecca through all that emotional high & lows if he thought Randall was going to be a jerk.
No one said that Trump couldn't hire Rebecca for his other project, she just won't be named the Apprentice. I hope Trump hired her anyway, she seems like she would be a great asset for his company.
~Lisa~
sept board

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares