Monday, December 12, 2005

Oh, The Excitement Around Here!

So, this afternoon, I was putting the baby down for his nap and checking on the preschoolers (all snuggled in their beds) and I heard my twins hollering my name. Now, this is not unusual at all for it seems that whenever I leave the room they get into a tussle. Why is this? Is it testosterone? A twin-thing? Sibling rivalry? Boredom?

As I came down the stairs, I hissed, "DON'T YELL AT ME!" because, really, it's irritating to be yelled at when you aren't even involved in the disagreement in the first place. And then I realized someone was hurt.

See this?

Do you know what this is? That's right. It's a goose egg. When I saw the goose egg on my son's forehead, I responded with a shocked, "OH MY GOSH!" and actually pirouetted in the kitchen before peering again at his horribly swollen forehead and exclaiming again, "OH MY GOSH!" and frantically grabbing for ice.

Goose-Egg-Boy had been hassling his brother, teasing him about finishing his schoolwork for the day. (Taking notes from a book for a research paper, aka Torture.) Harassed son responded by brandishing a pencil as a sword and chasing. At some point, Harasser picked up a small chair from the preschool table in the kitchen and Harassee grabbed the nearest thing, which happened to be a Princess trick-or-treat bucket, which my daughter carries around like a purse.

He tossed said bucket at his brother, aiming, he said later, for his stomach, but hitting him in the forehead, between his left eyebrow and his hairline.

The resulting goose egg was the most dramatic I have ever seen, a couple of inches in diameter and an inch high. Goose-Egg-Son was on his back, crying while the Bucket Thrower stood over us weeping and demanding, "Is my brother going to die? Is my brother going to die?!" I finally had to send him from the room because he was hysterical.

While a washcloth full of ice settled on the swelling, I hurried to google "goose egg" and "head injury" and decided that unless unconsciousness and vomiting and dizziness occurred, he'd probably be fine. But, oh, that goose egg was dramatic and impressive and terrifying for a moment.

Now it's a giant purplish-blue lump. My son avoided my husband tonight--not the Bucket Thrower, but the Goose-Egg-Boy--because he didn't want his brother to be in trouble. I told Bucket Thrower that his father would speak to him tomorrow and he said, "Can't I just know my punishment now?" and I said, "No," because we firmly believe in making children squirm and stew in their own juices.

The Bucket Thrower cried much longer than the Goose-Egg-Boy and said to me, "Mom, I feel so bad. I think I'm going to throw up." And I said nonchalantly, "Well, you are supposed to feel bad when you purposely hurt someone."

And to think we could have just had another boring day around here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Goslyn said...

Oh my, the things I have to look forward to. I'm not precisely sure that I was supposed to chuckle at this narrative about your son's injury, but I did. Somehow I feel bad about that.

Hope goose-egg boy heals quickly. How sweet that he tried to save bucket-thrower by hiding from Dad.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

I cant tell you the times I've told my kids that if they're not careful the're going to end up killing each other! Poor goosegg boy. My heart goes out to the bucket thrower too though. He was probably worried sick about his punishment. I remember being a kid and waiting for the boom to fall so to speak! Not fun!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm glad it didn't burst open. The amount of blood that spurts forth from a head wound is appalling.

And, I must ask...did all the little nappers sleep through this?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I have seen this happen once or twice. All concerned have my sympathies. The human body is amazing. Really.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Oh dear. Poor twins. My son once cracked his head causing a huge goose egg. It was so prominent that I was sure he had cracked the bone underneath. He was okay, of course.

I think it's wonderful that you made Bucket Thrower wait for his punishment. The agony he'll put himself through may just well cure his bucket throwing for life! Or at least improve his aim.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

How do you train your boys to not tattle on each other. I would have expected the injured one to show it to Dad as soon as he got in and heap the blame on the other.

Maybe it is a twin thing to be so sympathetic to each other.

I can't imagine a house that you don't hear the comback refrain, "Tattle tale tit, your pants done fit"

9:59 AM  
Blogger that girl said...

i think it's awesome that they care so much about each other; all the fighting is age appropriate, right? the caring part, that's special, and that's from you. good job.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

heehee! I know it wasn't funny when it was happening, but that really made me giggle. I guess just because I could envisioning my girls doing the same thing to each other.

I think its sweet that Goose Egg Boy didn't want his brother to get in trouble, and the initial fear and now the squirming has probably taught Bucket Thrower a good lesson.

I apologize for giggling!! :-)

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares