Monday, December 05, 2005

And On Monday, We Fired the Maid

I called my husband first thing this morning and demanded, "I want you to fire the maid immediately! The kitchen is a disaster-area!"

He laughed at my feeble joke . . . because, of course, we don't have a maid. I left the kitchen last night full of dirty dishes and messy countertops. (I should be fired and sent away. To Tahiti. Where I will do penance on black sand beaches and eat pineapple so fresh it burns my lips.)

This morning, I sat at the kitchen table and worked my boys through nine lessons of math, an entire unit. As we approached lesson eight, my Reluctant Student began to complain, "Mom, I'm starting to feel that weird feeling again. I can't do my work! Mom, I'm serious. I feel too weird."

Yeah, whatever, kid. Get to work. I have no sympathy for weird feelings--or maybe that's not quite right. I sympathize, but weird feelings cannot stand in the way of progress. I've been giving the boys a minimum of direction lately, but the past two weeks they've really stalled, so this week, I'll be overseeing every move they make. Tomorrow we'll be tackling American History Before 1865.

Today was my husband's day off, but for reasons I'm still not clear on, he worked all day. Something about employee reviews needing to be done, then a board meeting somewhere about executive something or another. He came home after praying the opening prayer at the Women's Christmas Salad Potluck. I was supposed to pray that prayer, but my cold and my daughter's unstable tummy prevented me from going. So, he came home to a very bizarre dinner of frozen fishsticks, sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows and pancakes. Hey, don't look at me! I didn't plan that. (Obviously.)

I cleaned up the kitchen thoroughly, gave my daughter yet another bath, then read books, listened to her sing songs, supervised her tooth-brushing and put her to bed just in time to hurry out the door to see an 8:20 p.m. showing of "Walk the Line."

The movie theater was empty except for an older couple who turned to stare at me during the fake movie portion when the cell phone rings just to demonstrate the annoyance factor of cell phones ringing in the movies. BUT IT WASN'T ME, PEOPLE! THAT WAS JUST AN ANNOUNCEMENT! LOOK AWAY!

I hate to admit that I'm hardly familiar with Johnny Cash or his music, but I did enjoy the movie. Another blogger (Toni?) mentioned that it could have used a bit of editing, as it dragged a bit in the middle and I have to say that I did start to wonder what time it was at some point. But I bet that movie will get some Oscar nods. (I thought it was a finer film than "Ray," which won big last year.) Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix were remarkable.

It was 10:50 p.m. when I returned to my car and it's a school night, so I ought to be snoring peacefully in my bed, but how can I just walk through the door and sleep? If I did that, it would be tomorrow already and my day would be in full swing and frankly, I'm just not ready for that yet.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, I command you to immediately download a few Johnny Cash songs. ;) May I recommend "I Hung My Head", "Hurt", "Man In Black" and "Folsum Prison Blues" to get you started.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I steal the 'fire the maid' quip? It would work very well for me. :)

Feithy

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I had that same maid over here before she went to your house. She did a bad job here, too!! :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger The Bizza said...

I'm glad to hear that "Walk the Line" is a good movie. I meant to see it a few weeks ago, but for some reason, I kept forgetting.

I might end up waiting for the DVD, like I did with "Ray"

10:49 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your husband's response was inadequate. Laughing, even gently, at your distress is not very supportive. "Leave the kitchen, dear, I will clean it all up when I come home." Would have been a better response, particularly with it being his day off. As a wife and mother do you get days off?

I learned to be more supportive too late which is why I found myself raising a two year old alone, which left me both mother and father and a minister all in one.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Smoov said...

I
LOVE
JOHNNY
CASH.

And I have seen the movie twice now and sang along with all the songs and adored both Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix.

I would be happy to burn a CD for you! "Ring of Fire" is a lovely song.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares