Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Grumpy + Margin Deficit + OCD = Bad Start

There are three things you ought to know about me:

1) I am not a morning person. As my husband likes to joke, "Do you wake up grumpy in the morning? No, I let her sleep."
2) I give myself a very small margin of time in the mornings. Why waste time being alert when you can be snuggled under the covers on a dismal morning?
3) I refuse to get out of bed until the clock shows a multiple of five. For instance, I will not get up at 6:44 a.m. Instead, I will wait with one eye open and the rest of myself fast asleep until 6:45 a.m. And then, if I accidentally sleep until 6:46 a.m., I must wait until 6:50 a.m. (Obsessive? Compulsive? Or just crazy?)

This morning, these three truths converged and the doorbell rang while I was still showering. When I emerged a few moments later, my husband--strangely awake and dressed in sweatpants--informed me that my daycare child had already arrived.

I said, "What?!? It's not 7:15!"

And he said, "Yeah, he said he left early this morning in case the roads were bad."

And I said, "Well. You should have told him to sit in the car until 7:15." Because I am just that merciful and accomodating first thing in the morning.

It was only 7:12 a.m. when I stepped outside of the bathroom, more than enough time to get dressed and half-heartedly dry my hair.

When I say 7:15, I mean 7:15. That's something else you might want to know about me. I'm kind of particular about things like that.

p.s. We have cold rain this morning and it's pretty hard to make a snowmen out of cold rain. Update!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I suppose he'll be late picking up, too!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Christi said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I always thought I was so alone in the morning! I, too, have to wait till a multiple of five! I am also not a morning person at all...it takes me about an hour to wake up. That's why I didn't do well at a job where I had to be there at 7:15. It's just not possible for me. I would set my alarm for 6:30, which barely gave me the time to do what I had to do, and still get to work. It never worked out right, but I refused to wake up one second earlier, knowing I would have to waste precious sleep time! I think you are my soul sister up north!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

On those rare days that I have nothing to do, I still compulsively watch the clock.

Today, I am sick, yet I still watch the clock.

For what? I do not know. But I HAVE to.

I am more of a morning person now that I don't have to get four people up, showered, fed and out the door. It's pure JOY to get up just to have a cup of coffee and hold a warm kitty on my lap. And go nowhere.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even when I wake up at 7? I still wait till 7:59 to get in the shower to leave at 8:15.

It's stressful. But, I cannot stop myself.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I'll have to remember that... :)

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parents Blog Top Sites

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares